Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 1st December 2012, 14:15

Send a message via MSN to skoena Send a message via Skype™ to skoena

Can somebody make a post explaining all the steps needed to copy all contents from 1 server to another server? (files, db's, changes to ispconfig files eg passwords etc etc)

Can somebody make a "howto"?
Sponsored Links
Old 18th December 2012, 19:46
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,378 Times in 4,225 Posts

Here the steps:

1) Backup the following directories on the old server: /var/www, /var/vmail and /etc, ensure that you preserve permissions e.g. with "tar pczf backupfile.tar.gz /directory/to/backup".
2) backup all mysql databases.
3) install ispconfig on the new server.
4) backup the new dbispconfig database and empty the database afterwards. Then restore the database of the old server.
5) copy all users and groups of the websites (users are web1, web2, ... , groups are client1, client2, ..., etc.) from the files /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/group and /etc/gshadow from the old server to the new server. Copy only the lines of the users and groups, not the whole files! and make a backup of the files before you change them.
6) restore the contents of /var/vmail and /var/www on the new server.
7) restore the databases of the clients
8) Login to ispconfig, go to tools > resync, check all checkboxes and click on start and wait a few minutes to let ispconfig write missing config files.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to till For This Useful Post:
DaRKNeSS666NL (23rd December 2012), Eleven Cool (5th February 2013), skoena (19th December 2012), stef157 (23rd March 2013), stefanm (1st January 2013), Turbanator (30th April 2013)
Old 19th December 2012, 10:40

Thank you soo much Till, will try this asap!
Old 23rd December 2012, 15:13
HowtoForge Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
Here the steps:

1) Backup the following directories on the old server: /var/www, /var/vmail and /etc, ensure that you preserve permissions e.g. with "tar pczf backupfile.tar.gz /directory/to/backup".
4) backup the new dbispconfig database and empty the database afterwards. Then restore the database of the old server.
5) copy all users and groups of the websites (users are web1, web2, ... , groups are client1, client2, ..., etc.) from the files /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/group and /etc/gshadow from the old server to the new server. Copy only the lines of the users and groups, not the whole files! and make a backup of the files before you change them.
8) Login to ispconfig, go to tools > resync, check all checkboxes and click on start and wait a few minutes to let ispconfig write missing config files.
Till Thanks for that, going to try it just yet again...
Old 24th December 2012, 12:59

I rsynced /etc from the old to the new server.
But I think I should not have done that. Server is not reachable and I can't reboot anymore...
Old 31st December 2012, 14:13

I have some additional questions.

1) How to get the backupped files to the new server and how to unpack them?
Why backup /etc? If you restore on a new server you will get problems?

2) Should I use
Code:
mysqldump --opt --user=root --password=xxxxxxxx --all-databases | gzip > mysql_backup.sql.gz
to backup db's? How to get this file to new server and how to import them back on the new server?

Tnx, Rudolf.

Quote:
Here the steps:

Old 2nd January 2013, 06:37
HowtoForge Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to hellkat

If anyone's interested I'd be happy to document all the files that are installed/modified by ISPConfig 3.0.5 on Debian, I might be prepared to document for other linux distros aswell if enough people want it.
Old 2nd January 2013, 15:13
HowtoForge Supporter

Quote:
Here the steps:

Just some extra questions regarding this...
Quote:
Here the steps:
Here is mentioned to back up ALL mysql databases so with client databases I guess. But in line 7 there is to restore client databases. So now I am guessing to not include the client databases. Must I backup only ISPConfig database in step 2 or indeed all of them?

Quote:
Here the steps:
1) Backup the following directories on the old server: /etc
What must I do whit this one? or must I use this file to complete step 5.
So extract it and edit the files from it?

TIA, think I will need some more help by getting it right but, still am going for it.......
Old 2nd January 2013, 18:49
HowtoForge Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to hellkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRKNeSS666NL View Post
Just some extra questions regarding this...

Here is mentioned to back up ALL mysql databases so with client databases I guess. But in line 7 there is to restore client databases. So now I am guessing to not include the client databases. Must I backup only ISPConfig database in step 2 or indeed all of them?

What must I do whit this one? or must I use this file to complete step 5.
So extract it and edit the files from it?

TIA, think I will need some more help by getting it right but, still am going for it.......
You need to back up and restore the all the mysql stuff, unless you want to lose the client databases. I forget if you need to do this for the mysql database itself, but I'm sure till will fill in that blank.

For step 5, as till said:

All the other files will be remade by a) the fresh install of ispconfig and b) the resync.
Old 7th January 2013, 14:11

I have some additional questions.

1) How to get the backupped files to the new server and how to unpack them?
Please post the correct commands to use.
(Why backup /etc? If you restore on a new server you will get problems?)

2) Should I use
Code:
mysqldump --opt --user=root --password=xxxxxxxx --all-databases | gzip > mysql_backup.sql.gz
to backup db's? How to get this file to new server and how to import them back on the new server?

For me as noob it's not always clear how to get things done...

Tnx, Rudolf.