Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 6th November 2012, 15:10

Default Question about multiserver with DB access

I had a single ispc 3 server (ispmain.test.com)with all services and added a web only server(web2.test.com) to the primary server.

Adding new clients I define their webserver to be on web2.test.com and their Mysql on ispmain.test.com. Creating a db for this client works as expected and gets created on ispmain.test.com.

But when I try install an app like wp, and define the host ip as being ispmain.test.com it fails. Checking the mysql server (ispmain.test.com) using phpmyadmin I see the clients database login info in the priveleges section, but for the host it says localhost, which is not correct because the client is coming from web2.test.com. Shouldn't the clients use/password show % instead of localhost so that it can access the remote db?

After I manually changed the host entry for my client from 'localhost' to '%' I was able access my WP database.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 6th November 2012, 15:16
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,338 Times in 4,188 Posts

Quote:
Shouldn't the clients use/password show % instead of localhost so that it can access the remote db?
This depends on the settings that you choose while you created the database. If you enabled external access, then it will use % as host, if you did not enable exaternal access, then it will use localhost.
Old 6th November 2012, 15:25

Where do I see this option? At the client when creating the db? at the reseller or admin level?

I see a remote option at the client level, is that what your talking about?

UPDATE:

Doah! That makes sense to check the Remote. for some reason I was thinking outside of our network access. To further add to the secuity I would put web01.test.com in my example.

In an all multiserver environment that Remote option would always have to be checked. Any easy way to have that box checked by default and survive software updates of ISPC 3? Maybe even hide from view since it would have to be checked always.

I shouldn't do these things until I have had at least 2 cups of coffee.

Thanks Till!!

Last edited by webguyz; 6th November 2012 at 15:38.