Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 31st October 2012, 14:03

Default cannot delete or overwrite some files

I have a fresh install of ispconfig server 3.0.5 on ubuntu 12.04. I have migrated all the websites from ubuntu 10.04.

Now some of the folders of websites in the /var/www/ or /var/www/clients/clientxx/webxx/ have a padlock symbol on it.

I can neither delete or overwrite any files in these locked folder nor I can copy any files in these folders.

for example there is a file in var/www/example.com or /var/www/clients/clientxx/webxx/web.tar.gz.

now I cannot delete web.tar.gz using sudo. I am able to change the permission of web.tar.gz but not for /var/www/clients/clientxx/webxx

for example
Code:
root@server1:/home/pawan# chown -R web13:client2 /var/www/clients/client2/web13
chown: changing ownership of `/var/www/clients/client2/web13': Operation not permitted
root@server1:/home/pawan#

Last edited by pawan; 31st October 2012 at 15:04.
Sponsored Links
Old 1st November 2012, 23:03
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,575 Posts

ISPConfig uses extended attributes to protect necessary folders from changes, e.g. to prevent people from deleting these folders which would cause the web server to not start anymore.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 4th November 2012, 16:16

Thanks Falko,
But the problem I am facing is for some of the folders and not all. And as I have mentioned the problem I am facing in only those folders which is showing the owner as root and I am not able the change the ownership to web and client respectively.
I have around 50 websites and in about 22 website have a lock symbol on it. Snapshot attached