Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13th October 2012, 18:23

Post Careful with re-creating Websites or anything MYSQL related

Hi all,
here is a, as I think, strange behaviour that I encountered within my system setup.

Quote:
Multi Server setup:
NS1.blahlah.blah nnn.nnn.nnn.016
NS2.blahbla.blah nnn.nnn.nnn.017
WEB.blahblah.blah nnn.nnn.nnn.023
mail.blahblah.blah nnn.nnn.nnn.024
all linked using the ISPConfig 3 Panel via MYSQL version 5.5.24-0ubuntu0.12.04.1
Quote:
The scenario:
I had the need to delete a web site, however found that I had to re-create it exactly the same way as it existed before, otherwise I would have to edit every setting that references (absolute) to web folders etc.
After I was done re-creating, all seemd to work fine, at least so I thought.
A local user, with different IPS reported that he could not reach my web sites.
My checks revealed no problems at all, all seemed to work fine,
So I used some DNS check websites to see if the DNS would resolve to my servers.
They did (after some fixing in this area), but failed to connect to my Web sites!

Why???

After a long search and essentially by coincidence, I found that my web sites weren't re-created at all. ISPConfig 3 reported all A OK, but it wasn't!
Some stange situation allows me to connect, slow but no problem, but it does not go beyond the local system.
Apparently a Bug within MYSQL does prevent you from re-creating your web site or better yet creates a new entry with new index. I don't know enough to troubleshoot it down to the nitty critty but know that much that the VHOST has absolutely no idea how to serve the web pages. If you tried to connect from a different NET it would get nothing.
Locally, it would work perfectly, because I believe of the hosts entries. Thats as far as it would go, faking a perfectly working system.

But it didn't Work Perfectly!

This can get very frustrating!
I went and tried to re-create the user as before manually.
MYSQL would throw an error at me, USER ALREADY EXISTS
But wait, I deleted this one and it should not exist!
Try again, same error and message.
How do I delete something that doesn't exist but it does exists??
Then I ran across this article http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5...-jacklocalhost
I went by this article and I could remove the old user and recreate the exact same as a new user.
I still have no luck with all of my websites (FUBAR) except for the one that I moved to a different machine not yet affected by the BUG.
Using phpmyadmin, I found duplicate entries and other stuff that does not make sense to me, so I stayed away from it. It's broken enough without my help!!!!
This one works just fine www.svxlink.net from a different machine.
I haven't gotten around to move the rest out of the discombubaration so it becomes accessible again to the outside world.
As for ISPConfig 3 I will have to retire it until the MYSQL bug is fixed or ISPConfig 3 has some mechanism that actually checks that there is an error.
AS A PATCH FOR NOW, I suggest to disable the Website delete function and keep an eye on the MYSQL BUG.

There are a number of things that I don't believe that ISPConfig does error checks on and if it does it is so much later when nobody is logged in, to see it.

Out of desperatiuon, I have moved my DNS's to stand alone, I love to have assurance that no database or anything else is messing with it without telling me.
At this point I don't think that my e-mail goes beyond the local system either.
Since there is just too much manual footwork to be done to fix it, I will probably simple wipe and re-start again, probably using the ISPCONFIG panel only for the mail and web server, making sure not to delete ANYTHING because my mail was more than once out of commission because I think of the MYSQL bug.

I have noticed that you can tell if your Database is hosed, by the time it takes to log into your control panel or if you use SSH how long it takes until you get the login prompt.
It will take very long to have something happening.
My standalone, in a blink of my eye....

WATHEVER YOU DO, DO NOT DELETE WEBSITES AND RE-CREATE AN EXACT COPY OF IT. IT WILL SCREW YOUR DATABSE AS SOON AS YOU WANT THE SAME THING!!!

THIS WILL RENDER YOUR WEBSITE INACCESSIBLE, BECAUSE IT DOES ACTUALLY NOT EXIST OR UPDATE ANYMORE!!!

I just don't understand that this doesn't get fixed, because it is long enough out there to have websites report workarounds?????

Last edited by norbie; 13th October 2012 at 18:34. Reason: Correcting typo.
Sponsored Links