Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 9th October 2012, 22:37

Default Adding a second node subsequently

Hi everyone,

my provider made a great offer, so I ordered a second virtual server that is identical to the existing one.
So, I would like to manage it from the existing ISPConfig Interface. I know that this is possible, however, what do I have to do when the existing machine is up and running for about a year, having countless pages hosted?

Can you give me a little hint, please?

Thank you in advance

Kind Regards

ZeroEnna
Sponsored Links
Old 10th October 2012, 08:23
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,213 Times in 4,088 Posts

It depends on what you want to do on the second server, if the second server shall host web, email and dns like the first one but shall be controlled from the first server, then install the second server as described in the perfect setup guide until you reach the step of the ispconfig installation. The last steps are:

1) Create a mysql root user on the old server which is able to login from IP address and hostname of the slave server, this is required for ispconfig installation on the slave. The step is also described in the ispconfig multiserver tutorials.
2) Now download and install ispconfig on the slave, when the installer asks you about installation mode, choose "expert" mode and the installer will ask you if the server shall join a existing ispconfig servers etup and ask for the mysql root login details of the master then.
Old 10th October 2012, 17:36

Okay, I did everything, I can manage the second server (SRV3) from my primary ISPConfig Interface (SRV2), however, when I create a website on the second server, it shows up in the database but no directory structure is created as of t +5 minutes.

What did I do wrong?

Regards

Zero

EDIT: Opening the ISPConfig3 Interface on SRV3 shows a complete empty listing. So something's not right here.

Last edited by ZeroEnna; 10th October 2012 at 17:38.
Old 10th October 2012, 17:59
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,213 Times in 4,088 Posts

Quote:
Okay, I did everything, I can manage the second server (SRV3) from my primary ISPConfig Interface (SRV2), however, when I create a website on the second server, it shows up in the database but no directory structure is created as of t +5 minutes.
Most likely a problem with the hostname configuration. Login to the slave on the shell and get the mysql master login details from file /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/config.inc.php.
Then use the mysql command on the slave to test the connection:

mysql -h masterserverhostname -u ispcsrv1 -p dbispconfig

replace masterserverhostname and ispcsrv1 with the details from the config file and enter the password fromconfig file when the mysql command asks for it.

Quote:
EDIT: Opening the ISPConfig3 Interface on SRV3 shows a complete empty listing. So something's not right here.
Dont use or login to the interface on the slave node as this will corrupt the database. Use only the interface on the master server.
Old 10th October 2012, 18:41

Quote:
mysql -h masterserverhostname -u ispcsrv1 -p dbispconfig
gives me this (after entering the password):
Code:
root@h2087386:/var/www# mysql -h srv2.hikari-media.de -uispcsrv2 -p dbispconfig
Enter password:
Reading table information for completion of table and column names
You can turn off this feature to get a quicker startup with -A

Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 1133248
Server version: 5.1.63-0+squeeze1 (Debian)

Copyright (c) 2000, 2011, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its
affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective
owners.

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement.

mysql>
Looks okay to me, however, after deleting the site entry and re-set it, it doesn't work, yet. I believe I did something wrong

Quote:
1) Create a mysql root user on the old server which is able to login from IP address and hostname of the slave server, this is required for ispconfig installation on the slave. The step is also described in the ispconfig multiserver tutorials.
Here's what I did

Code:
CREATE USER 'root'@'srv3.hikari-media.de' IDENTIFIED BY 'password';
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON * . * TO 'root'@'srv3.hikari-media.de' IDENTIFIED BY 'password' WITH GRANT OPTION MAX_QUERIES_PER_HOUR 0 MAX_CONNECTIONS_PER_HOUR 0 MAX_UPDATES_PER_HOUR 0 MAX_USER_CONNECTIONS 0 ; 
CREATE USER 'root'@'81.169.155.230' IDENTIFIED BY 'password';
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON * . * TO 'root'@'81.169.155.230' IDENTIFIED BY 'password' WITH GRANT OPTION MAX_QUERIES_PER_HOUR 0 MAX_CONNECTIONS_PER_HOUR 0 MAX_UPDATES_PER_HOUR 0 MAX_USER_CONNECTIONS 0 ; 
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
QUIT;
Regards

ZeroEnna
Old 15th October 2012, 09:17

Hey,

just a quick bump because this issue is still open.

Regards

ZeroEnna
Old 18th October 2012, 16:00

hey everyone...

II wired in to this a bit...and the mistake was a fair fair trivial one that even my recently born niece could figure out.

How should the server know if there are any pending changes, if the crontab isn't running, because no crond is installed.

That's right, that was the problem... Thank you anyone for helping me.

CASE CLOSED

Regards
ZeroEnna