Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21st September 2012, 09:53

Default maildrop cannot deliver to changed maildir

Dear Falko,
First let me thank you for your incredible work with your tutorials.
I've been following your documentations for years and they are far the bests among others I could find.
So thank you very much!

My problem is that I have set up a server using this tutorial:
The Perfect Server - Debian Squeeze (Debian 6.0) With BIND & Courier [ISPConfig 3]
http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-se...er-ispconfig-3

All steps done successfully.

My pre-installed server has separate /var and /home partitions.
I usually keep stuff (mails,webs,etc.) under /home, so I ordered the install with a large (1.5TB) /home partition and a relatively small(20GB) /var partition.
Therefore, I need to change the maildir from /var/vmail to /home/vmail.
EDIT: I have copied /var/vmail to /home/vmail to keep all previously created data.
I have made the change in ISPConfig, but maildrop still tries to put mails to /var/vmail
I was getting this error message when sent a test letter:

maildrop[22912]: Unable to change to home directory.
postfix/pipe[22911]: 30CDCC0067: to=<...>, relay=maildrop, delay=50958, delays=50958/0.03/0/0.07, dsn=4.3.0, status=deferred (temporary failure. Command output: /usr/bin/maildrop: Unable to change to home directory. )

I have searched the system for "/var/vmail" with "grep -r" and found that I have a postfix entry in main.cf that was something "like virtual_mailbox_mail = /var/vmail".
I have changed it to /home/vmail, restarted postfix and all mail-related processes, but still no avail.

Edit: I have changed /var/vmail to /var/vmail.bak to see what happens, and now it is saying:

maildrop[4939]: Unable to create a dot-lock at /var/vmail/.....
postfix/pipe[4933]: 30CDCC0067: to=<....>, relay=maildrop, delay=67707, delays=67707/0.09/0/0.05, dsn=4.3.0, status=deferred (temporary failure. Command output: /usr/bin/maildrop: Unable to create a dot-lock at /var/vmail/...)

EDIT: If I rename /var/vmail.bak back to /var/vmail then the mails are delivered correctly to /var/vmail but I of course cannot see them in a client, as courier search for them in /home/vmail (because it is set in ispconfig)

Could you have any idea that can point me to the right direction?

Thank you in advance! Have a great day!

Marton

Last edited by fmarton; 21st September 2012 at 10:31.
Sponsored Links