Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 8th September 2012, 23:13

Default Confused abaut Primary and Secondary DNS Servers configuration.

I am confused abaut primary and secondary dns servers configuration. i have read a lot of manuals tutorials abaut how to do it, but i think they do not adapt to my needs.

I set up two servers (like a tell on previous post). I now have configured second server (slave secondary dns server) to run in multiserver mode.

I configure two server entries in my administration panel.

If i mark "Is mirror of Server" on second server configuration i lost the posibility of create new websites into it. If i unmark seems dns replication in secondary dns server dont work.

I want to have two servers, controlled by one control panel in multisite mode I can get it if i not mark "Is a mirror site" in server configuration, i think this is the corret way. Mirror is for redundant purposes (i think) not for two independent server alocating diferent websites. So i have to active other services also like mail, etc in the second server.

I want also have my own nameservers ns1.domain.com ns2.domain.com. So i have created a zone with A record "ns1" pointing to primary server ip, and NS record domain.com pointing to ns1.domain.com. I have the same records for the other server with secondary server ip (A ns1 second ip and domain.com to ns2.domain.com).

Is this correct?, i have to do anything in secondary dns?. What i have to do in order to get the ns1.domains.com zones transfered to ns2.domain.com? without mirror one server into other one (i dont want mirror sites, etc).

I could get zone transfer by hand one by one, but i dont want to do this because i think this is not the way, the way is tranfer all zones froms ns1.domain.com to ns2.domain.com automatically.

Thanks for your responses and your help. I really need help with this.
Sponsored Links