Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 3rd August 2012, 12:13

Default Multiserver / General ISPconfig Architecture

Hi

ISPconfig looks very promising to me and i've started to setting up my environment. i'm having a multiserver-setup, with separate (virtual) machines for:
  • admin (=ISPconfig GUI)
  • mysql server
  • web & ftp server
  • mail server
  • dns server

i have the mysql server up and running and the connection from the admin server to the mysql server works fine.

i have installed ISPconfig on the admin VM (and used the mysql server from the mysql VM) and after installation i have disabled in ISPconfig all the "services" for this host (e.g. webserver, fileserver, db-server).

as i haven't found any documentation about the "architecture" of ISPconfig (neither in the manual nor on the website) i am not sure how the "communication" in the multiserver setup is supposed to work. when i check the tutorials for a multiserver setup, i always see that they are installing on EACH server a mysql-server. so what is the idea behind that? isn't each ispconfig instance just connecting to the "central" mysql-server as all the data is in that database?

i would be happy if somebody could clarify that.

another question. as i will have the ISPconfig web interface on a separate server and i would like to have it on port 80/443, can i just change the apache config manually or will ISPconfig overwrite this configuration again? (i suppose it won't, because i have disabled the webserver option in the GUI for this server).

thanks for your help
KoS
Sponsored Links
Old 3rd August 2012, 12:29
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,498 Times in 4,328 Posts

Quote:
when i check the tutorials for a multiserver setup, i always see that they are installing on EACH server a mysql-server. so what is the idea behind that? isn't each ispconfig instance just connecting to the "central" mysql-server as all the data is in that database?
A mysql instance is required on each node as each node holds a copy of the data that is required for that node and ispconfig is taking care to sync the data. The reasons are scalability and fault tolerance. If all servers would just connect to a single database, your complete cluster would fail as soon as the master database is down. Also yoursystem would not scale.

Quote:
another question. as i will have the ISPconfig web interface on a separate server and i would like to have it on port 80/443, can i just change the apache config manually or will ISPconfig overwrite this configuration again? (i suppose it won't, because i have disabled the webserver option in the GUI for this server).
Just enter port 443 during ispconfig installation to run ISPConfig on that port. If you want to add port 8080 as well, then you might have to add a second vhost file for that, dont alter the vhost file added by ispconfig manually.
Old 3rd August 2012, 12:34

Hi Till

thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
A mysql instance is required on each node as each node holds a copy of the data that is required for that node and ispconfig is taking care to sync the data. The reasons are scalability and fault tolerance. If all servers would just connect to a single database, your complete cluster would fail as soon as the master database is down. Also yoursystem would not scale.
that was exactly the answer that is was looking for :-) i haven't found anything like that in the manual and it would help a lot if such fundamental things would be described at the beginning with a simple overview of ISPconfig.

Quote:
Just enter port 443 during ispconfig installation to run ISPConfig on that port. If you want to add port 8080 as well, then you might have to add a second vhost file for that, dont alter the vhost file added by ispconfig manually.
so ISPconfig will touch the configuration files on the admin server even if i have de-selected all services in the config?
Old 3rd August 2012, 12:59
Super Moderator

Quote:
so ISPconfig will touch the configuration files on the admin server even if i have de-selected all services in the config?
You are talking here about a internal ispconfig file and not a file for the websites or other services managed by ISPConfig. This file is created and managed by the ispconfig installer script and not by the ispconfig interface or server. If the ispconfig installer would not able to install or update any files on your server, then ispconfig could not be installed of course.
Old 3rd August 2012, 16:37

Quote:
i am still confused. what is then the right order to install ISPconfig on the listed five VMs? each one of them has mysql-server installed.

1) install ISPconfig on the DB VM and choose for all the server-roles "no"
2) install ISPconfig on the admin VM and choose only for server role "ISP config GUI" yes
3) install ISPconfig on the web/ftp VM and choose the appropriate roles (web, jailkit, ftp)
4) install ISPconfig on the dns VM and choose the dns role.

or do i have to FIRST install the ISPconfig instance on the admin server and then all the others? but i would like to have the "main" dbispconfig on the DB server and all other instances syncing with that one. (so that i mainly have one DB server that needs to be accessible from the other servers).

thanks for your help & have a nice weekend
KoS
Old 4th August 2012, 11:12
Super Moderator

The controlpanel server ahs to be installed first. The oder of the other vms dont matter.

Quote:
but i would like to have the "main" dbispconfig on the DB server and all other instances syncing with that one.
The main ispconfig DB is always on the server that runs the controlpanel.