Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd August 2012, 12:13

Default Multiserver / General ISPconfig Architecture

Hi

ISPconfig looks very promising to me and i've started to setting up my environment. i'm having a multiserver-setup, with separate (virtual) machines for:
  • admin (=ISPconfig GUI)
  • mysql server
  • web & ftp server
  • mail server
  • dns server

i have the mysql server up and running and the connection from the admin server to the mysql server works fine.

i have installed ISPconfig on the admin VM (and used the mysql server from the mysql VM) and after installation i have disabled in ISPconfig all the "services" for this host (e.g. webserver, fileserver, db-server).

as i haven't found any documentation about the "architecture" of ISPconfig (neither in the manual nor on the website) i am not sure how the "communication" in the multiserver setup is supposed to work. when i check the tutorials for a multiserver setup, i always see that they are installing on EACH server a mysql-server. so what is the idea behind that? isn't each ispconfig instance just connecting to the "central" mysql-server as all the data is in that database?

i would be happy if somebody could clarify that.

another question. as i will have the ISPconfig web interface on a separate server and i would like to have it on port 80/443, can i just change the apache config manually or will ISPconfig overwrite this configuration again? (i suppose it won't, because i have disabled the webserver option in the GUI for this server).

thanks for your help
KoS
Sponsored Links