Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 1st July 2012, 00:14

Default Bind/Dns tutorial question

Hello, I've been reading the mentioned tutorial (www.howtoforge.com/traditional_dns_howto_p1) and I have a question of something I don't quite understand yet.

If I have a vps with IP 1.2.3.4 and a registered domain mydomain.com, but decided to use XName Nameservers and bind them to the domain registrar; do I still have to go through that whole process of binding?

If I do, how should I do to tell zone config file to use those NS? Just changing the IP's they are from in the zone config files?

I'm getting really confused over this ... so thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Old 1st July 2012, 08:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinner View Post
Hello, I've been reading the mentioned tutorial (www.howtoforge.com/traditional_dns_howto_p1) and I have a question of something I don't quite understand yet.
the url you provided is not found.

Quote:
If I have a vps with IP 1.2.3.4 and a registered domain mydomain.com, but decided to use XName Nameservers and bind them to the domain registrar; do I still have to go through that whole process of binding?
i don't quite clearly understand what exactly you're trying to say?

Quote:
If I do, how should I do to tell zone config file to use those NS? Just changing the IP's they are from in the zone config files?

I'm getting really confused over this ... so thanks for any help!
if you want to run your own dns server then basically you need to register your own dns hosts (dns1/dns2.mydomain.com) at your 'mydomain.com' register and point them to your server's ip (or more specifically, to the server where the dns server will be running on).

then you need to install and configure a dns server on your server and setup your 'mydomain.com' zone file there.
The Following User Says Thank You to rosehosting For This Useful Post:
pinner (1st July 2012)
Old 1st July 2012, 21:50

Hi,
I was just trying to use the DNS servers from Xname.org to create the A records and point to my server and thought that I needed some extra configuration from the server side, but I just tried deleting the zone from Xname and re-creating it and now it seems to work...

And I'm sorry, the url is http://www.howtoforge.com/traditional_dns_howto.

But I have another question... if I want the hosted server to be able to add parked domains 'automatically' from ISPConfig, I should at least be hosting one of the two nameservers so as to let it set the configuration?

I don't know if I expressed my doubt correctly though... thanks for the help!
Old 3rd July 2012, 16:14
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,727 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
But I have another question... if I want the hosted server to be able to add parked domains 'automatically' from ISPConfig, I should at least be hosting one of the two nameservers so as to let it set the configuration?
Yes, if you want to manage DNS records from within ISPConfig.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: