Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 28th June 2012, 19:16
HowtoForge Supporter

Unhappy Troubles While Installing ISPConfig3 via Serial Console in SolusVM VPS Control Panel

Hi guys,

I got a VPS (openVZ virtualisation + solusVM VPS panel). I have my VPS installed with debian squeeze now. I tried to set up ISPConfig3 via SolusVM's Serial Console but just can't get through it. I skipped the first 2 pages on this tutotial (http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-se...ispconfig-3-p4) because i don't setup the server. Not sure if I am wrong to skip those, but even if i don't skip i don't think i can do anything with it. Also, some commands return errors especially from step 11 onwards.

I can't find any tutorial that teaches us how to install ISPconfig3 directly in VPS. Since howtoforge teaches us how to install it from scratch (ie installing server on vmware), there are quite a number of different things to do. I am confused. I am just a beginner. Would be very much appreciate if someone could help me out.

Besides, is there any support provided to help installing it?

Cheers.

Last edited by Shyuan; 29th June 2012 at 05:57.
Sponsored Links
Old 29th June 2012, 11:06
Super Moderator

Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,903 Posts

Quote:
I can't find any tutorial that teaches us how to install ISPconfig3 directly in VPS. Since howtoforge teaches us how to install it from scratch (ie installing server on vmware), there are quite a number of different things to do. I am confused. I am just a beginner. Would be very much appreciate if someone could help me out.
The tutorials work for VM installations as well. Just connect to the basic debian system with ssh and then start with step 7 of the guide:

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-se...ispconfig-3-p3

Quote:
Besides, is there any support provided to help installing it?
Pleases ee ispconfig.org support page:

http://www.ispconfig.org/ispconfig-3/support/
Old 29th June 2012, 20:17
HowtoForge Supporter

Hi Till,

Thank you for your response. Somehow I managed to install it successfully. However I saw this at the end of the tutorial section 20:

Quote:
20.1 OpenVZ
If the Debian server that you've just set up in this tutorial is an OpenVZ container (virtual machine), you should do this on the host system (I'm assuming that the ID of the OpenVZ container is 101 - replace it with the correct VPSID on your system):

VPSID=101
for CAP in CHOWN DAC_READ_SEARCH SETGID SETUID NET_BIND_SERVICE NET_ADMIN SYS_CHROOT SYS_NICE CHOWN DAC_READ_SEARCH SETGID SETUID NET_BIND_SERVICE NET_ADMIN SYS_CHROOT SYS_NICE
do
vzctl set $VPSID --capability ${CAP}n --save
done
May I know where do I do this? is it via console? Thank you.
Old 30th June 2012, 12:11
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,545 Posts

Yes, you do it on the command line of the host system.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 30th June 2012, 14:45
HowtoForge Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko View Post
yes, you do it on the command line of the host system.
thank you!
Old 6th July 2012, 22:11
HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,

I installed ISPconfig3 successfully but in the middle and at the end, I have the following three issues that is not working/installed quite properly. Not too sure if they are important.

First: In the middle of Step 13, I opened the file to edit, but there are only two lines of codes in the file whereas the tutorial shows there are quite a number of lines of codes. I do not have the line where you can add "usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfm t=vfsv0"

Second: In step 18, when i execute the command "apt-get install squirrelmail", it shows the below. I chosen "Manual Symlink Setting" though. Is that okay? If it's not, where can I change to the Finnish ones?

Third: In step 20, I did the command line for VPS openVZ, in my case my container ID is 184, I amended the container ID, then i paste exactly the same thing into console, but it returns whole lot of results as per attachment below.

May I know if they are important that must be correctly done? Or I can ignore them? Thank you!

Last edited by Shyuan; 6th July 2012 at 22:13.
Old 8th July 2012, 22:57
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyuan View Post
First: In the middle of Step 13, I opened the file to edit, but there are only two lines of codes in the file whereas the tutorial shows there are quite a number of lines of codes. I do not have the line where you can add "usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfm t=vfsv0"
What's in your /etc/fstab?

Quote:
Third: In step 20, I did the command line for VPS openVZ, in my case my container ID is 184, I amended the container ID, then i paste exactly the same thing into console, but it returns whole lot of results as per attachment below.
Do you use OpenVZ? Did you run the commands on the OpenVZ host (not inside the container)?

What's the output of
Code:
which vzctl
on the host?

Old 10th July 2012, 13:44
HowtoForge Supporter

my /etc/fstab:

Code:
proc  /proc       proc    defaults    0    0
none  /dev/pts    devpts  rw          0    0
As for your question:

Quote:
Do you use OpenVZ? Did you run the commands on the OpenVZ host (not inside the container)?
I dont think I am doing at the correct place then. Because I did that step in the serial console located in my solusvm container.

Also, I think I have to do this "which vzctl" on the host like you said. Which I don't think I have the access to the host you mentioned. But I tried doing that in serial console, it returns nothing.

What I owned is a VPS account from a hosting company. Not too sure a VPS account holder can do those?
Old 11th July 2012, 16:52
Super Moderator

Quote:
What I owned is a VPS account from a hosting company. Not too sure a VPS account holder can do those?
No, in this case you cannot access the host. But did you test if PureFTPd is working? Maybe you are lucky and the right capabilities are already set on the host.

Old 17th July 2012, 21:38
HowtoForge Supporter

Hi Falco, i am not yet to try that out. But will do it soon as recently i am very busy no time to test out the control panel. but thanks for reminding, will let you know again!