Old 4th June 2012, 13:45

Question Which one is my real webroot?

Hello,

With the help of this guide I built an Ubuntu server. With ISPConfig I then created a website (test.nl) to which I uploaded some files using ftp.

Since I want to log all changes to the website files, I want to create a Mercurial repository in the website root. So with ssh I logged into the server and looked around. I can't find out however, what the correct web-root of my website is. I see two folders which contain the files of my website:
  • /var/www/test.nl/web/
  • /var/www/clients/client0/test.nl/web/
When I upload or change anything using ftp, the file appears in both these folders, so I am kind of puzzled as to which of these two is the right one.

Could anyone shed some light on this issue? All tips are welcome!
Sponsored Links
Old 4th June 2012, 14:11
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,651 Times in 4,461 Posts

Quote:
/var/www/test.nl/web/
/var/www/clients/client0/test.nl/web/
neither of these two.

/var/www/test.nl is a symlink for easier shell navigation which points to /var/www/clients/client0/web1
and /var/www/clients/client0/test.nl is asymlink to which points to /var/www/clients/client0/web1

So the real directory of your site is /var/www/clients/client0/web1/web/ which you can see on the options tab of the website settings in ispconfig.
The Following User Says Thank You to till For This Useful Post:
kramer65 (5th June 2012)
Old 5th June 2012, 10:48

Hi Till. Thank you for this explanation. That makes things clear.

Just two more questions:
[q]which you can see on the options tab of the website settings in ispconfig. [/q]
I can't find the thing you describe here. I went to the Websites-tab and clicked my domain. I then get a couple tabs: Domain, Redirect, SSL, Statistics, but no "website settings" or "options tab". In the menu on the left I can also not find either of these two. Although I have found the web-root from the command line, could you maybe give a little tip more on where to find this info in the ISPConfig panel?

And about the location of the web-root; Is this web-root location normal behaviour for a server, or is this only the way the ISPConfig panel sets things up?
Old 5th June 2012, 12:34
Super Moderator

Quote:
Just two more questions:
[q]which you can see on the options tab of the website settings in ispconfig. [/q]
I can't find the thing you describe here. I went to the Websites-tab and clicked my domain. I then get a couple tabs: Domain, Redirect, SSL, Statistics, but no "website settings" or "options tab". In the menu on the left I can also not find either of these two. Although I have found the web-root from the command line, could you maybe give a little tip more on where to find this info in the ISPConfig panel?
Login as admin user into ispconfig, not client. You find the directory as part of the open_basedir in ispconfig and also on the options atb of the ftp user of the site.

Quote:
And about the location of the web-root; Is this web-root location normal behaviour for a server, or is this only the way the ISPConfig panel sets things up?
Thats the way ispconfig sets up sites. There is no such thing as a normal behaviour as every controlpanel uses its own structure and thats the structure ispconfig uses as it prevents that sites break when you change the domain name of the site.
The Following User Says Thank You to till For This Useful Post:
kramer65 (5th June 2012)
Old 5th June 2012, 14:28

Quote:
Login as admin user into ispconfig, not client. You find the directory as part of the open_basedir in ispconfig and also on the options atb of the ftp user of the site.
Ah, I see. Thanks, I forgot I was logged in as a user.

Quote:
Thats the way ispconfig sets up sites. There is no such thing as a normal behaviour as every controlpanel uses its own structure and thats the structure ispconfig uses as it prevents that sites break when you change the domain name of the site.
I see. I am pretty new to the back-end of server setups (I've just been using cpanel and Direct Admin). This is the first time I installed a server using ssh and installing a control panel myself.

Thanks a lot for all the information!
Old 16th June 2012, 17:47

Is possibile to safely remove both symlink or are they used by other software/scripts?

We don't like to have many path pointing to the same dir, it's making confusion.

If the real docroot is /var/www/clients/client0/web1/web/, we would like to have only that path or at least /var/www/clients/client0/test.nl/web/

Is "client0" a fixed string (client) followed by MySQL autoincrement id associated to that client? If yes, should be possibile to change this with a random number/string ?
Old 17th June 2012, 21:16
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom123 View Post
Is possibile to safely remove both symlink or are they used by other software/scripts?
Don't do this. For example, both paths are used in the Apache configuration, and if one paths doesn't exist, Apache possibly won't start anymore.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 18th June 2012, 11:18

Is not possibile to configure ISPConfig to not use these address?
Old 18th June 2012, 11:23
Super Moderator

Quote:
Is not possibile to configure ISPConfig to not use these address?
You can disable some of them under System > Server config. Just ensure that the /var/www/domain.tld symlink is always created beside the real directory.