Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29th April 2012, 01:19

Default SSL issues

FIRST ISSUE:

With the recent release of Ubuntu 12.04LTS, I decided to clean off my system and redo my server.

I followed the HOWTO: Perfect Server for Ubuntu 11.10 with Nginx, and everything was good, even with 12.04LTS.

I then went and got a SSL Cert from StartSSL, following the HOWTO: Securing Your ISPConfig 3 Installation With A Free Class1 SSL Certificate From StartSSL

I only have one host, mine, so I'm thinking that the SSL should work for allowing HTTPS requests to my server. Unfortunately, it does not. Looking through the /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/vhost files, it appears that the only thing that is secured via SSL is ISPConfig ... which is what the second howto does.

Since I'm only hosting one domain, is there a way I can use the same SSL certificate for securing both ISPConfig along with my site?

----------
SECOND ISSUE:

Ok, after going through the two above HOWTO's ... I'm now having issues with connecting to the server with Thunderbird. I can receive emails with IMAPS, my settings are - Connection security: SSL/TLS with a normal password on Port 993 (which is the default per Thunderbird).

On the outgoing (where I'm having issues), I think I've tried every combination available for SSL/TLS, STARTTLS. At this point, my guess is the port isn't open. Per Thunderbird, the default port for SSL/TLS is 465, and STARTTLS is 587. Normal SMTP is 25.

The error message that I'm getting when I use SSL/TLS with default port of 465 is:
Quote:
Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server SERVERNAME.com failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server settings are correct and try again, or contact the server administrator.
This would make it appear that the ports are messed up. When I use STARTTLS, I get the same message.

Any ideas?

Last edited by profm2; 29th April 2012 at 01:46. Reason: added email issues
Sponsored Links