Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22nd April 2012, 13:35

Default Varnish 3.0.2 and ISPConfig 3.0.4

Greetings,

I followed the tutorial The Perfect Server - Ubuntu 11.10 [ISPConfig 3] here. I'm running an Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal) server with 1024 RAM on Rackspace. I've gone through and updated to ISPConfig 3.0.4. Everything has been working great up to now when I decided to try and install Varnish. Initially I did an install of Varnish by issuing:
  • apt-get update
  • apt-get upgrade
  • apt-get install varnish
Apparently the version that was installed was Varnish 2.x so I went back and added the repositories for packages provided by varnish-cache.orgThis updated my version of Varnish to 3.0.2

I then proceeded to make the following changes:
  • vim /etc/default/varnish
  • change DAEMON_OPTS to port 80:
  • vim /etc/apache2/ports.conf
  • NameVirtualHost *:8000
  • Listen 8000
  • vim /etc/apache2/sites-available/default
  • <VirtualHost *:8000>
  • vim /etc/apache2/sites-available/ispconfig.vhost
  • Listen 8080
  • NameVirtualHost *:8080
  • <VirtualHost _default_:8080>

I then proceeded to set my other vhosts to use 8000 (the apache2 port)

so with all this set I reset both Apache2 and Varnish to test. I used Firebug in Firefox 11.0

The output from what I see doesn't seem to indicate that Varnish is working completely correct:

First of all I see: X-Varnish 1644834493
but I've heard that unless you have two timestamps side by side than it's probably not working correctly so for example I was thinking I might see something like:

X-Varnish 1644834493 1644837493

Also if I noticed this in the output which seems to be inconstant:

X-Drupal-Cache MISS

There are times when it will say HIT as well....

So the question here that I have is I think Varnish is partially working, however, why don't I see two timestamps on X-Varnish like I'm thinking I should and does the output of the screenshot I have look correct? If Varnish isn't working can someone tell me what I might being doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links