Old 18th April 2012, 19:28

Default Confusion on IP Addresses use

I'm having hard time to understand on what I can & can't when it comes to IP Address related-- virtual/static/local/public/etc. Sorry, it's probably another noob question here but I definitely need someone to clear it up for me. I have two public IP Addresses that I was provided with my VPS and I have ISPConfig 3 set up-- everything is working perfectly fine.
I used this tutorial, Debian Squeeze (Debian 6.0) With BIND, Dovecot & Nginx [ISPConfig 3]
I realized that I would need some kind of backup-- load-balancing type. So, I started to read this tutorial "Installing A Web, Email & MySQL Database Cluster On Debian 6.0 With ISPConfig 3" and other couple more. I realized that I am starting to get myself confused on the tutorials due to the IP addresses it uses. For me, they are local IP addresses and obviously, we can have many IP addresses.... I understand that my VPS has its own "local" IP addresses but is it possible to have master server to be on public ip address and slave one would be on a local ip address?

I have tried to read the tutorials & by googling this up-- so sharing me links might not help much at my end as I might not understand. So, any explanation / information would be extremely helpful. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 19th April 2012, 08:35
Super Moderator

Thanked 4,980 Times in 3,901 Posts

The internal IP addresses in the tutorials are just exmaple IP addresses, so you wont use them on a real setup. For your server, you will have to use public IP addresses from your ISP, so replace all IP addresses that you find in the tutorials with the public IP adresses of your servers.