Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 29th February 2012, 16:57

Question Must "System mail name" be the same as the server name?

I'm always using "The Perfect Server" for my Ubuntu server setup.

And until now I've always set "System mail name" to the same as the server name - just as in "The Perfect Server" tutorials. But must it be like this?

Can I, for example, use "mail.example.com" on a server called "server.example.com" as long as at least the MX is also set correctly?
Sponsored Links
Old 29th February 2012, 17:10
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,501 Times in 4,330 Posts

The mailname can be different from the system hostname. But you might get problems with other mailservers if they are different because the reverse dns record of the server IP can pointto one domain name only and this is in most cases the hostname.
Old 29th February 2012, 17:47

Thanx till! I understand. But are reverse lookups common or even used at all for mailservers? Or servers in general? I tried my server's IP and it was unresolvable. And I have not had any problems with e-mails at all.

I'm guessing that the server is unresolvable because I haven't configured it directly to an IP address as my VPS provider does that just fine on their system. So the server itself only knows localhost and "thinks" its on a DHCP system.

What actually happens there I don't know to much about really - just as long as it works.

Anyhow, thanx again. I will just set up a server and try it out.