Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 17th January 2012, 23:13
erosbk erosbk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 337
Thanks: 49
Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts
Default Mail server, Yahoo, Gmail as Spam

Hello all,

Please I need a little help with a little problem...

Aside of hotmail, every mail sent by my mail server was arriving ok to inbox in gmail and yahoo. A client used our servers to send spam for two days... we kick it from our hosting, but right now, every mail send by my server is going directly to spam...

Do you know how can I give advise to yahoo and gmail about the situation, clarify that it has been fixed, and get all mails again to inbox?

If there is no solution to this, maybe I will have to use a different IP...

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 18th January 2012, 11:45
bassie bassie is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You are probably blacklisted. You can check here

Changing you IP is a bit extreme...
You could change your IP, keep in mind also to change reverse DNS record.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 18th January 2012, 13:43
erosbk erosbk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 337
Thanks: 49
Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Thanks, but I am not blacklisted in any place. The problem is that my mails are marked by google as spam, this was not happening before this user activity. I want to know where can I check my rep with google, or where can I send a form giving advise that the situation has been stoped.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 19th January 2012, 15:31
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,575 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erosbk View Post
I want to know where can I check my rep with google, or where can I send a form giving advise that the situation has been stoped.
Please check your mail log. The big companies send back a URL in the error code that gets logged in the mail log, and when oyu visit this URL you can normally fill out a form and request to be removed from their internal blacklist.
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to falko For This Useful Post:
audreyibsilverman (30th September 2013), erosbk (3rd February 2012)
  #5  
Old 3rd February 2012, 18:40
emdok emdok is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erosbk View Post
Thanks, but I am not blacklisted in any place. The problem is that my mails are marked by google as spam, this was not happening before this user activity. I want to know where can I check my rep with google, or where can I send a form giving advise that the situation has been stoped.

Thanks!
Pretty sure you're blacklisted somewhere
Be sure you're entering the right IP or FQDN from your mail server.

You'll need to do as falko has posted.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emdok For This Useful Post:
erosbk (3rd February 2012)
  #6  
Old 3rd February 2012, 21:27
erosbk erosbk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 337
Thanks: 49
Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Thanks both of you, I checked everywhere (aside of mxtoolbox) for blacklists and all my IPs are clean.

A client was using email server to send mails to google groups and others list, with a LOT of rejected mailboxs (I received lots of rejected address, really lots, 2000+ per hour)... I didn't find any message in logs, and with yahoo right now mails are starting to arrive at inbox... cannot say the same for gmail, I still arrive to spam after this, before I was arriving always to inbox...

But well, I think that in a while it will be fixed without intervention of my side... if someone has more ideas please post here.

Regards and thanks again for your help and future advises!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 13th February 2012, 13:10
bassie bassie is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Did your check your SPF record?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 14th February 2012, 10:47
ServerBite ServerBite is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bergen
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Check this resource

Don´t know if this will help you, but Google has a "Bulk senders Guideline" resource

https://support.google.com/mail/bin/...n&answer=81126
__________________
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
ServerBite Virtual host - Your friendly virtual private server provider in Bergen.

ServerBite is the international brand of Norwegian veteran VPS company Webhuset
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 3rd January 2013, 22:29
mylifenp mylifenp is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default You need to set relay host

You need to relay the mails you are sending using your ISPs smtp. Add these two lines in your main.cf in /etc/postfix

broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
smtp_sasl_security_options =
smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd <------
smtp_always_send_ehlo = yes
relayhost = smtp.yourisp.tld
smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = yes
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, permit_sasl_authenticated, check_recipient_access mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_recipient.cf, reject_unauth_destination


Then 'create /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd' and add these lines
smtp.yourisp.tld user@yourisp.tld:Password

If your ISPs SMTP server doesn't require authentification than you won't need to add 'smtp_sasl_password_maps .....' line and won't have to create 'sasl_passwd' file.

Hope this helps you.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 4th January 2013, 13:10
sabrina89543 sabrina89543 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylifenp View Post
You need to relay the mails you are sending using your ISPs smtp. Add these two lines in your main.cf in /etc/postfix

broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
smtp_sasl_security_options =
smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd <------
smtp_always_send_ehlo = yes
relayhost = smtp.yourisp.tld
smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = yes
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, permit_sasl_authenticated, check_recipient_access mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_recipient.cf, reject_unauth_destination


Then 'create /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd' and add these lines
smtp.yourisp.tld user@yourisp.tld:Password

If your ISPs SMTP server doesn't require authentification than you won't need to add 'smtp_sasl_password_maps .....' line and won't have to create 'sasl_passwd' file.

Hope this helps you.
This seems very professional! I think OP should try right now!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Postfix/courier/Centos 6 cant send email to external email servers maxtorzito Installation/Configuration 14 7th October 2011 10:56
Sending email issue lezelf Installation/Configuration 15 9th August 2011 11:20
Can't receive mails baicunko Server Operation 12 3rd August 2011 22:02
ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server. [Centos 5.4, courier imap,squirrel, etc] darevil HOWTO-Related Questions 7 9th June 2010 14:49
amavis & ispconfig 3 yalex2000 Installation/Configuration 20 18th February 2010 17:02


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.