Thanks for that. Too many alligators in this swamp!!!
Maybe it was an own goal but I updated the OS at the same time and there are some differences between the setup for SuSE11.1 and 11.3
I'll leave it some time for 11.4 to settle down before upgrading to that.
Firstly, the websites cannot get data from MySQL I get an error:
Host 'xxx.co.uk' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server
otherwise the apache, ispconfig and phpMyAdmin seem OK.
& secondly, mail seems to be arriving ok but pop3 requests from the email client are not working.
Squirrel mail is finding the mail.
I cant see anything obvious in the logs, its lools like the requests are going nowhere.
At least the SMTP is working which is why I started this whole process.