Old 26th July 2011, 13:45

Question Postfix - Mail bounce

Hi All.

It's highly appreciated if someone can tell me a solution for my below problem: -

I have a postfix mail server on ubuntu 10.04 lts behind a router. so all local users are fetching/sending mails through ms outlook using local IP. Sometimes when internet goes down and any mail send then it bounced back immediately saying domain not found. Can u please tell me how i configure to hold all mails in postfix server rather than bounce when internet fails and will pass through when restored the internet around 15-30 minutes?

Thank u.

Regards,
Russel.
Sponsored Links
Old 27th July 2011, 08:54

Send a message via Yahoo to dipeshmehta Send a message via Skype™ to dipeshmehta

Check your postfix's main.cf for bounce_queue_lifetime parameter, if it is set to 0 then delivery attempts tried only once. (It is 5 days by default).
Old 27th July 2011, 13:01

There is no any "bounce_queue_lifetime" parameter but smtpd_error_sleep_time = 0. Please tell if the "smtpd_error_sleep_time" is causing the problem or not?

Regards,
Russel
Old 27th July 2011, 13:54

Did you google for the given keywords / configuration parameters?

Then you'd have come across: http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html

Quote:
The Postfix main.cf configuration file specifies a very small subset of all the parameters that control the operation of the Postfix mail system. Parameters not explicitly specified are left at their default values.
So this is the reason, both of these switches CAN be explicitly set in your main.cf. But if not set, then the default value is used.

According to the above documentation, I'd say changing smtpd_error_sleep_time back to 1 (default) won't help here.

Maybe it helps to see your main.cf and the exact error message from the logs. As for my understanding "bounce_queue_lifetime" (which is set to 5d by default) should work for this, as the message is kept for 5 days until it gets back to the original sender.