Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Developers' Forum

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 10th July 2011, 19:04

Default Centos 6.0 support

Hi, good devs!
When you planing to make support for CentOS 6.0?

...and thanks for your perfect web panel!
Sponsored Links
Old 11th July 2011, 10:24
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,575 Posts

As it has just been released, we will start working on it soon. But it is possible that ISPConfig 3 already works with CentOS 6.0 - you might want to try it out.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 11th July 2011, 21:34

Is it sure that ispconfig 2 will not work with centos 6 ?
Old 12th July 2011, 10:42
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygram View Post
Is it sure that ispconfig 2 will not work with centos 6 ?
This thread is about ISPConfig 3. But we are also working on CentOS 6.0 support for ISPConfig 2 (but with the latest version, 2.2.39, it does not work - I tested yesterday). We will release a new ISPConfig 2 with support for CentOS 6.0 propably next week.

Old 12th July 2011, 18:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko View Post
As it has just been released, we will start working on it soon. But it is possible that ISPConfig 3 already works with CentOS 6.0 - you might want to try it out.
I've actually played around with this a bit.

Here is the problem list:
1) Tried php53 packages from CentOS on 5.6. There are a few dependencies that work only with the stock php 5.1. mbcrypt and such. Those packages will probably have to be recompiled from source. Have not gotten there yet.
2) squirrelmail absolutely does not want to work with php 5.2 or 5.3 on 5.6
3) squirrelmail is not even included in CentOS 6. It is reportedly not working when users compile the source. Same error I got running it on CentOS 5.6

I think this is something that can be worked through but a new build procedure will need to be cooked up. Squirrelmail can probably be hacked into working and the squirrelmail folks are probably working on that themselves.

My problem is squirrelmail is getting a little old and creaky. I can't set up rules like I can on yahoo and gmail to filter my mail. There is a package for this, but it requires a daemon running and listening. This creates a security problem.

If you don't mind google reading your mail, its pretty easy to host your mail on google. I actually recommended this approach to a start up that wanted to get googles attention. It took six weeks for google to be in contact. So much for privacy. The gmail feature set is far superior to squirrelmail.

Tonight I plan to set up a centos 6 box at home with 64 bit release and begin the process of hacking this together. I'm not sure I'm up for writing the cook book.

In practice I won't use a dot zero OS release for my production environment anyway, but knowing how to do this is important to me. If update 1 is stable and I can run all my stuff, I might consider it.

I'm trying to avoid the concept of running a 5.6 virtual machine to support the php 5.1 stuff. Squirrelmail is a major hangup for me because my most important customer, my wife uses it. My wordpress blogs all require php 5.2.4 or above to work as does my Joomla 1.6 (wanting) customer.

SEP

Last edited by isn; 12th July 2011 at 18:42.
Old 12th July 2011, 22:01
Super Moderator

I've played around with CentOS 6.0 as well because I wanted to write a "Perfect Server" tutorial for CentOS 6.0 and ISPConfig 3. I had to stop because lots of packages seem to be missing, for example there's no getmail, and, even worse, no amavisd-new! Maybe these packages will be available in a few days or weeks, but until then, the "Perfect Server" will have to wait.

Old 12th July 2011, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko View Post
I've played around with CentOS 6.0 as well because I wanted to write a "Perfect Server" tutorial for CentOS 6.0 and ISPConfig 3. I had to stop because lots of packages seem to be missing, for example there's no getmail, and, even worse, no amavisd-new! Maybe these packages will be available in a few days or weeks, but until then, the "Perfect Server" will have to wait.
We can't compile getmail from source?

Bummer.

What about ISPCONFIG3 using PHP53 on Centos 5.6? That seems possible if the squirrelmail annoyances can be bypassed.
Old 13th July 2011, 01:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by isn View Post
Squirrelmail is a major hangup for me because my most important customer, my wife uses it.
Hi, if you have a trouble with our old friend SquirrelMail, then I can suggest you to try Roundcube webmail. Pretty nice interface. I have used it for some short time and it's look quite good.

Question for top level developers. What about to include it to ISPConfig installation?
Actually It's in EPEL repo.
Old 13th July 2011, 09:47
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by isn View Post
We can't compile getmail from source?
Yes, that's possible as follows:

Code:
cd /tmp
wget http://pyropus.ca/software/getmail/old-versions/getmail-4.20.3.tar.gz
tar xvfz getmail-4.20.3.tar.gz
cd getmail-4.20.3
python setup.py build
python setup.py install
But amavisd-new plays a central role in the setup, and I don't want to compile everything from the sources. I think the missing packages will be available in a few days or weeks (for example, for RedHat 6.0 there's an amavisd-new package), so I will wait and write the tutorial then.

Old 13th July 2011, 15:01

I totally agree. If the package exists on RHEL 6 its likely to be available soon CentOS 6. I always favor rpm based installs when possible. Got CentOS 6 running non gui on my test server yesterday. Will begin experimentation based on the 5.6 tutorial and report any insights.

SEP