Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 9th May 2011, 08:33

Default move client or email or website to another server

Hello,

I have looked at all kinds of backup scripts etc on the forum, but i carn't really get the idea on how to best move a client or an email account or a website from one ispconfig 3 server to another! I setup and tried multi site but that did not give me the option.

So just wondering whats the recommended way to go about it, I have a website that has kinda outgrown one of the servers and I want to move him to another.

I have setup a new server just wondering how best to go about it.

I do have the manual but it does not mention this.

cheers

Pete
Sponsored Links
Old 9th May 2011, 10:14
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,545 Posts

Create the client on the new server, then create the web site (plus email, ftp, databases, etc.) in ISPConfig, and then copy all your data (web sites, databases) to the new server. Regarding email you might want to take a look at imapsync: http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-mig...-with-imapsync

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
The Following User Says Thank You to falko For This Useful Post:
Franz (9th May 2011)
Old 13th May 2011, 03:46

yucky!

So have to create the accounts on the new server and manually move each service over.

So it gets really fiddley if ya want to move a few websites, as the web paths change /client2/web5 becomes /client1/web2 so you have to manually move them and chown them, is that correct? or is there a way to create a client and website and make sure it gets the same web paths, so you can just rsync it straight over with no manual directory fiddling?

Also with regard to the emails, i have around 25 of them, if i have to manually create, bit boring but fair enough, but how about the passwords how do i find them out?

same for the databases how do i find out the passwords

cheers

Pete
Old 13th May 2011, 09:58
Super Moderator

Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,903 Posts

Quote:
So it gets really fiddley if ya want to move a few websites, as the web paths change /client2/web5 becomes /client1/web2 so you have to manually move them and chown them, is that correct?
That depends on your setup. If you use a multiserver setup, then all paths are unique for the whole cluster, so the path remains the same when you move a site to another server.

Quote:
Also with regard to the emails, i have around 25 of them, if i have to manually create, bit boring but fair enough, but how about the passwords how do i find them out?
The passwords are in the ispconfig mysql database (see mysql_user table). Just copy the passwords from the old database to the new database.