Old 9th February 2011, 17:56

Default FTP problem, ISPConfig

Hey there,

I´m new to Linux but got directed towards ISPConfig by a friend when I needed a hosting solution for another friend.
I went through the guide provided here:

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-se...at-ispconfig-3

I followed it to the letter and everything seemed to go smoothly. I could create a client and a site within ISPConfig. The site worked and I could publish stuff on it. I ran into problems when I wanted to create an ftp user for the site. I created the ftp user within ISPConfig and it is marked as active.
When I try to ftp via this user I created, I get the following message within my ftp client:

Response: fzSftp started
Command: open "user1@555.555.555.555" 22
Command: Pass: ********
Error: Authentication failed.
Error: Critical error
Error: Could not connect to server

When I try to ftp in as root, that works without problems (even though root is located within /etc/ftpusers)

I checked the auth.log and found this, when trying to ftp in with the user I created:

sshd[18060]: Invalid user **** from 192.168.255.3
sshd[18060]: Failed none for invalid user **** from 192.168.255.3 port 53982 ssh2
sshd[18060]: pam_unix(sshd:auth): check pass; user unknown
sshd[18060]: pam_unix(sshd:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser= rhost=192.168.255.3

So I´m thinking if ISPConfig did not create the user within the ftp server itself?
At this moment I´m stuck since I can´t provide the users with ftp access so they are unable to work on setting their site up.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 14th February 2011, 12:31

Is there anyone that can give me any suggestions or advice on this problem?
Old 14th February 2011, 12:39
Super Moderator

Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,903 Posts

You mix up FTP and sftp. SFTP is a SSH protocol and not realted to the FTP daemon or FTP login. The failed login lines are from a SSH Login and not a FTP Login. To login by SSH / SFTP, create a SSH account.
Old 14th February 2011, 13:01

Thank you for your reply.

There is something I´m not understanding here.
In the documentation for the Perfect server, you are instructed to install PureFTP and create an ssh certificate for that. Are you not supposed to be able to create an ftp user from the ISPConfig admin page for the websites you have setup? Should that ftp user not be granted access to the website you have created?
When I try to get access to the website I created within ISPConfig I have no luck with the ftp user created within ISPConfig, regardless of using ssh or ftp.
Old 14th February 2011, 13:11
Super Moderator

Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,903 Posts

Quote:
you are instructed to install PureFTP and create an ssh certificate for that
You are instructed to create a SSL certificate, not a SSH certificate. SSH is not SSL.

Quote:
Are you not supposed to be able to create an ftp user from the ISPConfig admin page for the websites you have setup? Should that ftp user not be granted access to the website you have created?
Sure. A FTP User. But you used SSH to access the website and not FTP, this is absolutely clear as the error in your log is from the SSH daemon. For a SSH protocol, you have to create a SSH user and for a FTP protocol, you need a FTP user.

There is a protocol named SFTP (which is a SSH protocol) and another protocol named FTPS (which is a FTP protocol). So for SFTP, you need a SSH user and for FTPS you need a FTP user.