Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Tips/Tricks/Mods

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 11th June 2009, 17:10

You can set something similar up with fail2ban using the supplied postfix filter assuming you are running fail2ban,

In /etc/fail2ban/jail.conf add something like the following...
Code:
[postfix-tcpwrapper]

enabled  = true
filter   = postfix
action   = hostsdeny
           sendmail[name=Postfix, dest=you@yourdomain.net]
logpath  = /var/log/maillog
maxretry = 3
bantime  = 900
findtime  = 900
then restart fail2ban

Code:
service fail2ban restart
This will block access to all services on your server for 15 minutes to anyone who tries to send mail to 3 unknown recipients within a 15 minute period.
Obviously you can tweak the settings to suit your own preferences.

Don't forget to change the email address for notifications and maybe add known safe IPs to the
Code:
ignoreip = 127.0.0.1
value near the top of the file.
Sponsored Links
Old 18th September 2009, 12:38

I've got a somewhat related problem:

a customer is sending a huge newsletter and even though he is sending it in batches it still clogs down my server. using mytop I can see when he is sending his newsletter that I have between 30-1500 qps :-( and it is always the dbispconfig DB that is accessed...

how do other people handle the sending of huge newsletters?

I am not sure what the problem is, should I increase the max connections? the server is not running our of RAM its just that when the sending is in progress, different random Db queries fail, so I guessed its the max conection settign that I coudl up? the caches are effective, but well, the problem still persists...
Old 18th September 2009, 12:47

I've got a somewhat related problem:

a customer is sending a huge newsletter and even though he is sending it in batches it still clogs down my server. using mytop I can see when he is sending his newsletter that I have between 30-1500 qps :-( and it is always the dbispconfig DB that is accessed...

how do other people handle the sending of huge newsletters?

I am not sure what the problem is, should I increase the max connections? the server is not running our of RAM its just that when the sending is in progress, different random Db queries fail, so I guessed its the max conection settign that I coudl up? the caches are effective, but well, the problem still persists...
Old 9th February 2011, 22:10

Any one still using this on debian ?? Mine somehow stoped working running it by hand i get:

[root@xxxxx postfix-scripts]$ ./postfixblocks_hand.sh
blocking the spammer at from with 244 attempts
iptables v1.4.2: host/network `from' not found
Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.

It seems the script is getting back a wrong value from the sed scriptlines in the posted scripts. Since im not a expert i cant get it to work and spent more then 5 hours searching for a solutions.

Any suggestions would be more then welcome.
Old 9th February 2011, 23:12

did you try the "fixed" version ? Even if it's in slovene, i can translate it if it works for you.
Old 10th February 2011, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl4ckb1rd View Post
did you try the "fixed" version ? Even if it's in slovene, i can translate it if it works for you.
Yes i did gives the same output error. Seems like postfix loglines or something have changed which causes the errors but i cant figure out why. Do you have it working still ?