Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 14th December 2006, 19:29

Default Multi-part problem with mail."warning: connect to transport amavis:... and

[UPDATE] It seems that amavis is not my only problem. Although I can connect to the mail server to receive mail, any attempts to send mail to the account, from another email address or relay email from the account, to another email address fail.

Maillog has this to say: ("SOURCE.USER@SOURCE-USER.com" = non-ipconfig source. "DESTINATION.USER@DESTINATION-USER.com" = ipconfig user destination, in this case "web5_USER".
Code:
Dec 15 05:34:54 sd-7405 postfix/smtpd[19372]: connect from unknown[XX.XXX.XXX.XX]
Dec 15 05:34:55 sd-7405 postfix/smtpd[19372]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[XX.XXX.XXX.XX]: 554 <SOURCE.USER@SOURCE-USER.com>: Relay access denied; from=<DESTINATION.USER@DESTINATION-USER.com> to=<SOURCE.USER@SOURCE-USER.com> proto=SMTP helo=<WORK>
Dec 15 05:34:55 sd-7405 postfix/smtpd[19372]: disconnect from unknown[XX.XXX.XXX.XX]
Dec 15 05:34:56 sd-7405 dovecot: pop3-login: Login: user=<web5_USER>, method=PLAIN, rip=::ffff:61.194.254.65, lip=::ffff:88.191.41.233
Dec 15 05:34:57 sd-7405 dovecot: POP3(web5_USER): Disconnected: Logged out top=0/0, retr=0/0, del=0/0, size=0
Maillog also has this in it:
Code:
Dec 15 05:38:15 sd-7405 postfix/anvil[19374]: statistics: max connection rate 1/60s for (smtp:61.194.254.65) at Dec 15 05:34:54
Dec 15 05:38:15 sd-7405 postfix/anvil[19374]: statistics: max connection count 1 for (smtp:61.194.254.65) at Dec 15 05:34:54
Dec 15 05:38:15 sd-7405 postfix/anvil[19374]: statistics: max cache size 1 at Dec 15 05:34:54
[/UPDATE]

I'm now testing out my mail server and I get this in the "maillog" file whenever mail attempts be received or sent.

By way of reference, I used the http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_fedora_core_5 , except on a 32 bit box, which works perfectly otherwise, and I already checked and "amavis" and clamd.amavisd are both running as the same user, namely "amavis".

I can also telnet to 10024 with no problem.

To be honest, I'm no longer sure that amavis was even part of the ISPConfig install or if it was instead installed as a failed attempt at getting postfix installed and working previously.

One thing I do know though is that my postfix main.cf file is the same as it is shown in the Howto I listed, if that is any help.

Since I don't actually have any sites live yet, I'm almost tempted to uninstall it all and start over with the same howto but I'm worried that I'd end up not uninstalling something that needed to be and be in worse shape.

Any help, including a pointer to how to start over if that is the best route, would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Craig; 15th December 2006 at 05:51. Reason: New information
Sponsored Links
Old 15th December 2006, 05:48

New info about the problem, see the "[UPDATE][/UPDATE]" section edited into the original post.
Old 15th December 2006, 09:06
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,240 Times in 4,108 Posts

Amavis is not part of ISPConfig and the howto. ISPConfig uses its own procmail scripts to scan emails with Spamassassin and not amavis. You should consider uninstalling amavis or reinstalling the system.
Old 15th December 2006, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
Amavis is not part of ISPConfig and the howto.
True, I realize now as well.

I had started out only looking for a way to install a mail server, came across the article, "Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL (Fedora Core 5)", got part way through, ran into problems and THEN, came across the ISPConfig howto.

I had hoped I could lucky and get by with just installing it and seeing what happened but the luck was not with me.

Quote:
ISPConfig uses its own procmail scripts to scan emails with Spamassassin and not amavis.
I just recently realized that as well. I may be slow but I eventually get "there".

I figured out how I got to where I was/am, and walked backwards and found the branch which lead me to incompatible directions. I think your idea of starting over is a good one and what I have decided to do, thanks to your help.
Quote:
You should consider uninstalling amavis or reinstalling the system.
In this case it ends up being the "or" case. Taking your suggestion and removing amavis, I found didn't help or maybe more correctly, I have it screwed up more than doing that alone would help.

My current plan is to have the host flip a switch and reinstall the entire box, which will then take all of 5 minutes for them.

Then starting with essentially a fresh box, I plan to drop a VMWare in it and go the image route, which I can freely mess up totally, without wiping the box out.

At least until I get used to playing with it and feel more comfortable with ISPConfig. I do know though that ISPConfig is definitely the route I want to go one way or the other over the long term.

Also, if you haven't figured out already, this is my first real experience "driving a box" myself. I usually code while some one else rides the server and another manages the project so your patience, not only you have shown with my questions but to all the people who ask questions here, is GREATLY appreciated.
Old 16th December 2006, 11:13
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,726 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
I had started out only looking for a way to install a mail server, came across the article, "Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL (Fedora Core 5)", got part way through, ran into problems and THEN, came across the ISPConfig howto.
These tutorials are incompatible with each other as ISPConfig uses system users, not virtual users.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 13th January 2011, 19:55

We (the user/admin community) should probably indicate that this post refers to ISPConfig 2, not ISPConfig 3. ISPConfig 3 does use Amavis, doesn't it?
Old 14th January 2011, 14:16
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,726 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluros View Post
We (the user/admin community) should probably indicate that this post refers to ISPConfig 2, not ISPConfig 3.
This thread is in the ISPConfig 2 subforum, so everything's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluros View Post
ISPConfig 3 does use Amavis, doesn't it?
Yes, it does.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: