Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd May 2006, 00:09

Question Xen 3.0, Ubuntu 5.10, and Windows 2003 Server

I have been looking for a way to run Windows 2003 Enterprise Server along with its valuable SharePoint on a linux platform. I researched QEMU and they have not reached that goal yet. I noticed that VMWare might be overkill especially for only a single domain controller. So now I came across the Xen 3.0. Can it support Ubuntu 5.10 or does it have to be Debian Sarge like the tutorial? Can Ubuntu host Windows 2k3 Enterprise with Xen 3.0?

I have read in this forum that Ubuntu is very similar to Debian so maybe it is possible. Once our main software is available to run on Linux there may not be a need to use Windows anymore, but for now this software is the main bloodline of our business. So as a quick fix we would like to run, Linux servers and Windows Desktops. I know about the Samba tutorial, but since we are also using Sharepoint along with Outlook 2003 we need a Windows 2k3 virtual server. Should I keep dreaming about this or just stick to the basic Windows server install straight to the NTFS hard drive?
Sponsored Links