Old 10th December 2010, 19:24

Default VHOST Folder

Hi ISPConfig freaks!

Is there a way (or config setting) to rename the web folder in
/var/www/clients/client[id]/web[id]/web to www or docroot permanently?

What I need is:
Quote:
<Directory /var/www/clients/client1/web1/www>
AddHandler fcgid-script .php .php3 .php4 .php5
FCGIWrapper /var/www/php-fcgi-scripts/web1/.php-fcgi-starter .php
Options +ExecCGI
AllowOverride All
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>
or:
Quote:
<Directory /var/www/clients/client1/web1/docroot>
AddHandler fcgid-script .php .php3 .php4 .php5
FCGIWrapper /var/www/php-fcgi-scripts/web1/.php-fcgi-starter .php
Options +ExecCGI
AllowOverride All
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>
Thx
mbsouth
Sponsored Links
Old 11th December 2010, 14:17
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,721 Times in 2,562 Posts

I don't think so, but maybe you can create a symlink pointing from www or docroot to web.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 13th December 2010, 15:13

Hi Falko, thanks for your reply!
I tried symlinks before I post the thread above. Symlinks works as expected but symlinks are more of a patchwork than a solution. To find a better once, I searched the source code to find the definition of the paths inside the document_root.

Unfortunately the result was disappointing:
- there are no common config(file) for paths definition inside the document_root
- the paths are hard coded in multiple files - multiple times

this makes ispconfig not compatible to migrate our existing environments yet:
- no standard for directories within web root (error and stats should be placed outside the web root [in this case: /web])
- our web root is /www (possible solutions will be symlinks but this approach ends in hundreds of support requests)

In our tests ispconfig was the best (free) hosting panel solution at all and
I hope, custom-defined paths are possible in upcomming versions.

mbsouth
Old 13th December 2010, 15:42
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,209 Times in 4,085 Posts

Quote:
- no standard for directories within web root (error and stats should be placed outside the web root [in this case: /web])
ISPConfig has a standard, and this standard is that the name for the error folder is error and that its inside the web folder and the stats folder is inside the web folder and named stats. We use this standard since ispconfig 2. It might be that you used a different standrad in your old enviroment, but this does not mean that ispconfig hs no standard folders.

Quote:
- our web root is /www (possible solutions will be symlinks but this approach ends in hundreds of support requests)
In ispconfig and several other controlpanels, the standard name for thsi folder is web.

Last edited by till; 13th December 2010 at 16:04.
Old 13th December 2010, 22:32

Hello Till, thanks for your reply!

Quote:
ISPConfig has a standard, and this standard is that the name...
I have made myself misunderstood, sorry about that.
!!! I did not want to make ISPConfig down - quite the reverse - ispconfig is the best (free) hosting panel solution at all !!!
What I meant was that we do not impose standards to our customers. In this case each customer can create their own folder trees without restrictions (inside the web root). But predefined folders are restrictions (my opinion). In some projects error or stats are used by our customers. I have to migrate more than 300 vhost from different server to a new multi-server-environment!
I´ll do this once[!], straight[!] and flawless! I think ispconfig could help me a lot!

Quote:
In ispconfig and several other controlpanels, the standard name for thsi folder is web.
What makes the use of ispconfig attractive over other control panels? The same standards(?), same restrictions(?) or what?

Things like customized settings, stability, diversity... makes ispconfig attractive and it´s not necessary to compare it with other control panels - ispconfig "shows something a clean pair of heels" (I think this is like - etwas weit zurück/hinter sich lassen?).

Btw - advantages to define the paths in a common config (like /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/config.inc.php) are clear code, simple to change, adjustment, debugg and customizable and not realy hard to do.

Thank you for your attention
just my 2 cent
mbsouth

Last edited by mbsouth; 13th December 2010 at 22:39.