Old 23rd November 2010, 20:46

Default Use ISPConfig 3 as MX backup

Hello all,
i would like to use my ipsconfig server as mx backup for another mail server, it's possible to do this? if so, how should i configure my ispconfig?

I've tried to read the docs and search something on forum but i'm not been able to find the answer.

Thank you so much,
N.
Sponsored Links
Old 2nd December 2010, 14:49

no idea about this ?
Thank you so much,
N.
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:52

Are you able to you explain in further detail?

Are you intending simply to setup a backup MX server? From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MX_record#The_backup_MX ):

"... backup MX or secondary MX, usually keep the messages in a queue waiting for the primary server to become available. If both servers are online or in some way connected to one another, the backup MX will typically queue a message briefly and immediately forward it to the primary MX. The backup MX acts as a store-and-forward mail server."

Does that excerpt describe your objective accurately?
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:57

yes, i just need to queue message if my primary Mx is down and forward it back when it comes online again.
thank you
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:01

Have you looked at Falko's post on the subject? It's one of the first Google search results for the query "how to backup mx server":

http://www.howtoforge.com/postfix_backup_mx
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:26

yes, but i would like to use ISPConfig 3 .. it's the same ?
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:53

Speaking forthrightly, setting-up a backup MX server is outside the scope of ISPConfig, and not directly related.

That said, there's no reason that you can't configure your ISPConfig server to be the primary MX server, and any other computer of your choosing to be the backup MX server. The steps described in Falko's tutorial apply universally, provided that postfix is installed.

Out of curiosity, have you noted the comments at the bottom of the cited tutorial? Unless you're prepared for some serious SPAM-related headaches, there are other options to be considered, such as http://www.mxsave.com/ (I do not use or endorse mxsave in any way.) What's it worth to you to have your MX backup? Business accounts start at $6/mo... seems pretty reasonable.