Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 5th November 2010, 00:04

Question Migrating from Postfix/Courier to Exim/Dovecot

Hi Everyone,

I have a Debian Lenny 5.05r with Postfix 2.5.5 and ISPConfig 3.0.3 installation. And due to performance issues on the vserver, postfix is not running as good as it should do (Postfix needs more & more sockets, http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48002). So I asked at several places on the Web, and got the answer that Exim is more lightweight as Postfix, and may be the right choice in my case. On the other hand, I'd like not to start a new installation from scratch, but rather to migrate the mailboxes and the hole mail-data from Courier to Dovecot, and also to configure ISPConfig3 to continue setting up virtual domains / mailboxes etc. as good as it did with Postfix.
I found here this old thread "http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/sho...highlight=exim", which is I think outdated or maybe could not conform to my actual environment.
I'm very thankful if any one could give me some good hints.

Wahid

Last edited by wahid; 5th November 2010 at 00:21. Reason: Correcting a link
Sponsored Links
Old 5th November 2010, 16:11
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,748 Times in 2,579 Posts

ISPConfig 3 doesn't support Exim, and I don't know if it can be changed to do so. Would be a lot of work in any case...

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 5th November 2010, 18:05

Question RE:Migrating from Postfix/Courier to Exim/Dovecot

Hi Falko,

I Know that ISPConfig doesn't officialy support Exim MTA, and I also would like not to spend a lot of time on tweaking/re-configuring the webapplication to integrate finally Exim in a wrong way. That's why I'm looking for alternatives to solve this, so feel free to post your suggestions !

Aside from ISPConfig, when I install Exim/Dovecot, will it be possible to "import" the content of Courier IMAP Maildirs into Dovecot ones or something in this sense?

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions !
Old 6th November 2010, 16:21
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,748 Times in 2,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahid View Post
Hi Falko,

I Know that ISPConfig doesn't officialy support Exim MTA, and I also would like not to spend a lot of time on tweaking/re-configuring the webapplication to integrate finally Exim in a wrong way. That's why I'm looking for alternatives to solve this, so feel free to post your suggestions !
I don't have any suggestions, aside from running Postfix instead of Exim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahid View Post
will it be possible to "import" the content of Courier IMAP Maildirs into Dovecot ones or something in this sense?
As both use Maildir, that should be no problem. (You might have to rename or delete a few folders inside Maildir, if you see stuff in your IMAP client that doesn't make sense.)

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: