Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7th October 2010, 15:19

Default Failed during pvmove, howto: set up software raid 1 on running LVM system

Hi...

After succesfully following the guide on installing software RAID 1 on a running ubuntu 10.04 system (no LVM), I decided to do the same on a server machine with LVM installed:
http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-set...n-ubuntu-10.04

The configuration as shown in the howto is identical to our server except for the server name. Of course I used our server name whenever it was written server1.

After the command
$ pvmove -i 2 /dev/sda5 /dev/md1
reached 100%, it displayed:
ABORTING: Can't find mirror LV in servername for /dev/sda5

After this I couldn't do anything anymore. all LVM commands resulted with: "Command failed with status code 5."
And the system became read-only.

I had to reboot, and of course, changing the grub and fstab resulted in an unbootable system.

So now I need to either continue the process, or restore the system.

Is there a way to restore the previous state? I assume I need to load the live CD, install mdm, mount sda through lvm and somehow restore the system from the command line, but I have no idea how to do all this... anyone?

Thanks,
Danny

Last edited by sbh77; 7th October 2010 at 18:42.
Sponsored Links