Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 27th September 2010, 12:34
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,240 Times in 4,108 Posts

Quote:
So when i update something on the master, how is the slave's db updated? Just a mysql connection? Where are those settings defined? Or does it to a http post to a script on the slave server?
The slave runs a cronjob once a minute, it connects to the master with the master database settings from the config.inc.php file and checks if there are any updates. If it finds updates, it copies the changes to the local database.

To debug this, enable debugging for the slave server in ispconfig on the master server under system > server config for this slave server. Then run:

crontab -e

on the slave and add a # in front of the server.sh cronjob to disable it temporarily. Then run:

/usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.sh

on the slave as root user and you will get a detailed output of all actions that were taken on the shell. Dont forget to activate the cronjob later again.
Sponsored Links
Old 27th September 2010, 13:21

I don't know if it's worth mentioning the boxes are virtual machines on ESX server. Does that make a difference? Don't see why it should but grasping at straws here
Old 27th September 2010, 14:43
Super Moderator

I dont think that this makes a difference, as long as esx does not try to block mysql network traffic.

The most likely reason for your problem is that you used centos or rhel and not debian. The centos standard packages are not well suited for sql based installs like a ispconfig 3 server, they lack compiled in mysql support. Thats why you either have to compile packages manually or use almost all packages from external repositories as described in the perfect server guide. But using so many external sources causes dependency problems on updates and as result, you get a instable system. I can only recommend to everyone who needs a stable system with ispconfig 3 to use debian or ubuntu as these distributions have packages with compiled in mysql support in their default repositories.
Old 27th September 2010, 18:29

Hmm.

Well i've carried on my quest and turned on mysql query logging. When a user logs in you can see this:

Code:
100927 17:27:50      78 Connect     ispconfig@localhost on dbispconfig
                     78 Query       set autocommit=0
                     78 Query       SELECT password FROM ftp_user WHERE active = 'y' AND server_id = '3' AND username="xxx"
                     78 Query       SELECT uid FROM ftp_user WHERE active = 'y' AND server_id = '3' AND username="xxx"
                     78 Query       SELECT gid FROM ftp_user WHERE active = 'y' AND server_id = '3' AND username="xxx"
                     78 Query       SELECT dir FROM ftp_user WHERE active = 'y' AND server_id = '3' AND username="xxx"
                     78 Query       COMMIT
                     78 Quit
Old 27th September 2010, 19:40
Super Moderator

This shows that pure-ftpd sends a query to mysql, but it does not say if the database connection from ispconfig worked. Please do the debug steps that I suggested to you.
Old 28th September 2010, 10:26

Hi, sorry, I can see that master -> slave replication is working properly - thankyou .

If there are no users in the ftp_user table; pureftpd only runs one query, gets 0 rows then shows invalid username message. If there are entries in the table and they match the credentials given to the client, it will run more than one query.

When i login to mysql as the same user that pureftpd has to run, and run the same queries it runs, i get a row returned. I get the username, the password, the uid, the directory so it can get the info, it just fails after that which is why I think it's a user-mapping issue. Should it create a new local unix user? Because it doesn't .

I might setup a standalone box on ubuntu today and see what the differences are .

Someone with working proftpd; can you see one of your ftp accounts and see what the uid field contains then run

Code:
cat /etc/passwd
Old 28th September 2010, 11:11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Someone with working proftpd; can you see one of your ftp accounts and see what the uid field contains then run
proftpd is not supported by ispconfig. ispconfig supports only pure-ftpd.

does the web[ID] user and client[ID] group exists in /etc/passwd and /etc/group file?
Old 28th September 2010, 11:20

Sorry, I mean't pureftpd. Didn't get much sleep last night!

No no users are created in either file, last 2 lines of each:

/etc/passwd:
Code:
ispapps:x:503:505::/var/www/apps:/bin/bash
ispconfig:x:504:506::/usr/local/ispconfig:/bin/bash
/etc/group
Code:
ispapps:x:505:
ispconfig:x:506:apache
Where's the code that should create the user as part of ajob?
Old 28th September 2010, 11:24
Super Moderator

The users are created when the website gets added, not when the ftp user get added as they belong to the website. So there must went something wrong when you created the website. Enable debugging in ispconfig as i described above, then modify a setting in the website were the ftp user belongs to and check the debug output for errors.

Also make sure that you have selinux disabled.
Old 28th September 2010, 11:31

Ahh that's a point, i'd not considered website rather than FTP. I'll take a look. Thankyou Till!