Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 22nd August 2010, 23:42

Default Update

I asked my hosting provider to set up glue records for me, which they said they did. I started a new thread here:

http://www.how2forge.org/forums/show...266#post237266
Sponsored Links
Old 23rd August 2010, 01:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by eponymous View Post
Hi All,
[...]
... my domain, booksjamaica.com, will host both a website and the nameservers, ns1.booksjamaica.com and ns2.booksjamaica.com.
[...]
The domain registrar won't accept an IP address for the nameserver, but requires it in the format ns1.domain.com.
[...]
I realize from your posts that I have a circular dependency and need a "glue record". How do I create a glue record?
A "glue record" is also referred to as IPv6. Whoever has authority over your master domain, must have the glue record.

The situation you describe now is exactly the same as mine. My server's host name is also the host name of the name servers that point to the website on the same server. It will work. You might want to use dig to take a look at how I have the entries set up for the server versus one of my websites.

For example.

Try ...

syntax: dig [the dns entry you are interested in] jpre.net that is the host and the domain for dns.

dig mx jpre.net

Try using the domain information groper "dig" on other websites as well.

Now ... one thing I would caution you about. Make sure you let your ISP (or whoever is selling you the internet space) to make sure the correctly enter "PTR" records for you so that when you get it all working you have both forward and reverse DNS.

For example: dig -x your.ip.add.ress to see the domain listed in PTR for your IP.

If both the A records and PTR records don't point to each other than some servers on the internet may not like your emails (in particular) and you will soon find that your server gets banned from other major servers that you might rely on for mail delivery and so forth.

Good luck. If you need more, I can post my setting as they work now later. Sounds like you are close.
The Following User Says Thank You to dpicella For This Useful Post:
eponymous (23rd August 2010)
Old 23rd August 2010, 18:20

Default update

Hi dpicella,

Most things work as they should now, except that I need reverse DNS (PTR) records for my mail server.

I was going to try and add the record from ISPConfig, but from another thread in which you participated I see that I have to ask my hosting provider for this. I already did this and am awaiting their reply.

Thanks