Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 17th May 2007, 15:30
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,744 Times in 2,577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa123
Maybe it doesn't support loopback.
That's possible, but if you use the local IP address of your server in the hosts file instead of your router's public IP address, it should work (because then the router has nothing to do with it).

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Sponsored Links
Old 21st May 2009, 23:55

Default This is how I solved the problem

I had the exact same problem. I contacted my ISP because I have a business account and business accounts get priority tech support and even they had no idea what to do about it. I have a westell 7500 modem. This particular modem has a certain feature that lets me configure DNS in certain ways. In the advanced settings of my modem I can access a feature called "DNS Server". Under "DNS Server" I can create a table of domain names and the IP addresses I want them to resolve to. One of the domains in my ISPConfig system is "zandooy.com" so I added zandooy.com to the DNS Server table in my modem with the Local IP address of my Server on my network (ie. zandooy.com /// 192.168.1.21). Then I can just put http://zandooy.com/ in my browser of any other PC on my local network and it gets redirected to my server machine within the same network. BINGO! I can now browse the websites on my server inside my LAN using the domain names. You might try looking for this feature in your router or modem. It may not be labeled the same way if it has it at all.

Good Luck!
Zandooy
Old 1st August 2010, 13:14

Got the host file on my client computer edited but it still the same issue. Any other ideas?

linksys e2000

Last edited by HaydenHarnet; 5th August 2010 at 02:17.