Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 19th July 2010, 22:30

Default Do I need bind server running? (question from an ignorant newbie)

Hi ISPconfig gurus,

I am planning to install ispconfig 2 to run a website from home. My server (CentOS 5) is behind a linksys router.

I have these two newbie questions:

1. I will only host 2 sites. both domain names will use dns services provided by the domain registrar. Do I still need to have a bind server running?

2. My server is behind a router and have an internal IP. Do I need to use the public IP anywhere in the ISPconfig configuration?. I am aware of the port foward settings I need to set in the router, but would like to know if ISPconfig needs to know what is the public IP, and if so, where I should enter it.

Thanks a lot for your help
Sponsored Links
Old 20th July 2010, 09:08
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,209 Times in 4,085 Posts

1) No. But it is recommended to run it as it speeds up dns lookups that the server does e.g. when someone accesses the website.

2) Public IP addresses are only used in DNS settings. As you do not plan to host the dns records for your domain on this server, you dont have to enter the public IP in ispconfig.