Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7th May 2010, 12:14

Post Installing Lucid iso from another partition by booting from grub2

Hello ,

I am having 9.10 Karmic with grub2 on /dev/sdb5 partition.I want to use this partition for Debian later on.

I've partitioned /dev/sdb6 to ext4 and Plans to install Lucid on this Partition.I have downloaded Ubuntu LUCID amd64 iso on to /dev/sdb7 from where I hope to trigger installation using grub2.
But ,grub2 fails to find the image/partition.
here is the grub2 menu I've put on:
Code:
menuentry "Lucid ISO on /dev/sdb7" {
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,6)
loopback loop /lucid/ubuntu-10.04-desktop-amd64.iso
linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/lucid/ubuntu-10.04-desktop-amd64.iso noeject noprompt 
initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
}
^As (hd0,6) it boots /dev/sdb which is the First Harddisk 160GB one.But ,if I do a fdisk - l "/dev/sdb" is the First Hdd ,While /dev/sda (80GB) is the 2nd One!
Is this related to the problem of not finding /dev/sdb ? I tried (hd1,6) but it shows the 80GB partition

Please Help:
  • /dev/sdb5 -Current distro Ubuntu Karmic with Grub2
  • /dev/sdb6 -where I intent to install Lucid
  • /dev/sdb7- where Ubuntu Lucid ISO is stored
With Lucid iso on / directory of /dev/sdb5(on karmic) ,I successfully booted into livecd environment and even tried Ubiquity to install.but ,it asks to unmount /dev/sdb5(which is the distro) which is an issue preventing installation.even if I formatted /deb/sdb7 and swap using gparted ,the installation fails because of asking to umount /dev/sdb5(/isomount) by installer.
Sponsored Links