Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 30th April 2010, 00:38

Default What Triggers A Jobqueue?

How long should it take for tasks in a Jobqueue to be performed? I just created a site and DNS zone, and it took over 15 minutes for the tasks to be performed. The items were just sitting in the jobqueue the whole time, and I couldn't figure out how to get the tasks to be triggered manually.
Sponsored Links
Old 30th April 2010, 01:23

Ispconfig has a cron job that runs every minute. It should not take 15 minutes for that to run. Maybe you were waiting for DNS cache.

Take a look at:
/var/log/ispconfig/cron.log

That's the log of actions from CRON.

It also could be that another issue was blocking your configuration to be activated. It could be a SSL certificate missing.

You can also run the cron job manually.
/usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.sh
as root.
Old 30th April 2010, 01:24

I forgot to say, check your crontab with crontab -l if there is not cron jobs for ispconfig it will never run the jobs.
I know this is a pain, waiting a minute for a change is a pain. I really disagree with this. I liked much better on Ispconfig 2 where the changes were all LIVE.
Old 30th April 2010, 02:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesrg View Post
Ispconfig has a cron job that runs every minute. It should not take 15 minutes for that to run. Maybe you were waiting for DNS cache.
Definitely not waiting waiting for DNS cache, I was logged into the server and doing ls /var/www over and over again, waiting for the changes to happen. The changes included deleting a site, creating a new site, and a couple of DNS zone updates. All of them were sitting in the jobqueue for over 15 minutes. The directory structure constantly showed the deleted site as still present and the new site as non-existant. 15 minutes is an estimate, I gave up after 15 minutes and made myself lunch, and when I came back 25 minutes later, the jobqueue was finally empty and all the tasks had been performed. So the real elapsed time could've been anywhere from 15 to 40 minutes.

Quote:
Take a look at:
/var/log/ispconfig/cron.log

That's the log of actions from CRON.
My log file is filled with the following:
Code:
PHP Deprecated:  Comments starting with '#' are deprecated in /etc/php5/cli/conf.d/imagick.ini on line 1 in Unknown on line 0
PHP Deprecated:  Comments starting with '#' are deprecated in /etc/php5/cli/conf.d/imap.ini on line 1 in Unknown on line 0
PHP Deprecated:  Comments starting with '#' are deprecated in /etc/php5/cli/conf.d/mcrypt.ini on line 1 in Unknown on line 0
Over and over and over for ever and ever...

Additionally, hidden amongst all this trash, was the following:

Code:
userdel: warning: can't remove /var/mail/fpzhosting_1: No such file or directory
chroot: cannot run command `userdel': No such file or directory
mkdir: cannot create directory `/var/www/clients/client1/web5/var': File exists
mkdir: cannot create directory `/var/www/clients/client1/web5/var/run': File exists
ln: creating hard link `/var/www/clients/client1/web5/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' => `/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock': Invalid cross-device link
There might be other info in there, but the file is overwhelmed with all those constant error messages. The log file is already 2 MB in size. Further, it's not timestamped in any way so I can't tell when each log entry is from. This is a completely useless log file.

Quote:
It also could be that another issue was blocking your configuration to be activated. It could be a SSL certificate missing.
SSL is not enabled on any site right now. The tasks were performed successfully eventually. I just tried creating a new site, and this time it showed up within a minute, as it should. I don't understand why it took 15+ minutes before.

Quote:
You can also run the cron job manually.
/usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.sh
as root.
That's useful to know!
Old 30th April 2010, 11:23
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,652 Times in 4,461 Posts

Quote:
15 minutes is an estimate, I gave up after 15 minutes and made myself lunch, and when I came back 25 minutes later, the jobqueue was finally empty and all the tasks had been performed. So the real elapsed time could've been anywhere from 15 to 40 minutes.
Then the cronjob must had been interrupted, e.g. killed manually which left the lock files there. The sysetm tries to repair itself if someone interuupted it after some time.

Quote:
My log file is filled with the following:
Code:

PHP Deprecated: Comments starting with '#' are deprecated in /etc/php5/cli/conf.d/imagick.ini on line 1 in Unknown on line 0
PHP Deprecated: Comments starting with '#' are deprecated in /etc/php5/cli/conf.d/imap.ini on line 1 in Unknown on line 0
PHP Deprecated: Comments starting with '#' are deprecated in /etc/php5/cli/conf.d/mcrypt.ini on line 1 in Unknown on line 0

Over and over and over for ever and ever...
which is from your linux distribution and not ispconfig. As the error message states, the use of # for comments is deprecated. You can e.g. delete all lines starting with #

Quote:
ln: creating hard link `/var/www/clients/client1/web5/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' => `/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock': Invalid cross-device link
There seems to be a problem with your harddisk layout. It looks as if /var/www and /var/run/.... are on separate partitions. This means that jails will not work as e.g. hardlinks from within the jail to the mysql socket are not possible. If you would have followed the perfect server guide to install your system, you would not have got this problem.

Quote:
This is a completely useless log file.
Most Linux commands do not add a timestamp to the error messages thats they send to stderr. ISPConfig is using system commands, it does not write a new linux distribution. If you want to know which lines get added, simply clear the log:

cat /dev/null > /var/log/ispconfig/cron.log

The cron.log is normally empty, I run here several servers in production use that were installed as described in the perfect setup guide and I dont get a single line in the cron.log. I guess there are more general problems with the way you installed ispconfig.

Last edited by till; 30th April 2010 at 11:25.
Old 30th April 2010, 11:51

Default PHP Deprecated: Comments starting with '#' are deprecated...

Hi, Those errors are annoying and nothing to do with ISPConfig. To get rid of them do this:

vi /etc/php5/cli/conf.d/imagick.ini

change the # to ;

vi /etc/php5/cli/conf.d/imap.ini

change the # to ;

vi /etc/php5/cli/conf.d/mcrypt.ini

change the # to ;

I read that some people are using // instead of ; to stop this error reporting with success.

Last edited by CSsab; 30th April 2010 at 11:54. Reason: fix
Old 30th April 2010, 16:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
Then the cronjob must had been interrupted, e.g. killed manually which left the lock files there. The sysetm tries to repair itself if someone interuupted it after some time.
Can't imagine what woud've caused the cron job to die, ISPConfig 3 is the only thing I installed on that server. It wasn't doing anything else. I definitely never killed it myself.

Quote:
which is from your linux distribution and not ispconfig. As the error message states, the use of # for comments is deprecated. You can e.g. delete all lines starting with #
Thanks! I'll do that!

By the way, this may not be an ISPCOnfig 3 problem, but it's definitely a Perfect Setup Guide thing. Your guide purports to create a perfect server environment for running ISPConfig. Clearly this is not the case.

Quote:
There seems to be a problem with your harddisk layout. It looks as if /var/www and /var/run/.... are on separate partitions. This means that jails will not work as e.g. hardlinks from within the jail to the mysql socket are not possible. If you would have followed the perfect server guide to install your system, you would not have got this problem.
All of /var is on a separate partition. So /var/run and /var/www are on the same partition (/dev/sdf1 mounted as /var). The Perfect Setup guides specifically mention that I can choose a more advanced partition setup for my needs. There's certainly nothing advanced about placing /var on a separate partition. This is very common practice, especially for a server that hosts all vhosts in /var (which is most control panels I'm familiar with). If I can't have /var on a separate partition, then how am I supposed to expand hosting space with LVM in the future? I have /var mounted on an LVM LP.

Quote:
Most Linux commands do not add a timestamp to the error messages thats they send to stderr. ISPConfig is using system commands, it does not write a new linux distribution. If you want to know which lines get added, simply clear the log:

cat /dev/null > /var/log/ispconfig/cron.log
I must not spend enough time wading through log files. My apologies if you felt I was implying this was an ISPConfig problem. I was merely implying that this cron log file is useless in its current state.

Quote:
The cron.log is normally empty, I run here several servers in production use that were installed as described in the perfect setup guide and I dont get a single line in the cron.log. I guess there are more general problems with the way you installed ispconfig.
It's nice of you to blame me rather than the guide... especially since there's a post from someone else above who describes having the same problem as myself and proposes a functional solution.

Last edited by GoremanX; 1st May 2010 at 05:20.
Old 1st May 2010, 10:00

Quote:
By the way, this may not be an ISPCOnfig 3 problem, but it's definitely a Perfect Setup Guide thing. Your guide purports to create a perfect server environment for running ISPConfig. Clearly this is not the case.
Where is the perfect server guide for ISPConfig 3.0.2.1 on Ubuntu 10.04 (RC1) ?
Old 1st May 2010, 10:04
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,652 Times in 4,461 Posts

The guides get written after a Linux distribution gets released. 10.04 got released 2 days ago and the guide has not been written yet. But the 9.10 guide will probably work for 10.04 as well. If you find any differences, you can e.g. submit a modified guide.
Old 1st May 2010, 10:35

How can the OP blame the Perfect Server guide for his setup when that perfect server guide hasn't been written yet!