Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14th April 2010, 06:24

Default Specify which external ip address to use to access internet

I have looked all over the place and can't find anything on this (at least that I am able to understand and modify to meet m
y needs). I have an ubuntu vps running apache2. I have to external ip addresses I can use. I want to set up proxy servers so I can access the internet through my vps and specify which external ip address to use. I also don't want any Via headers or X_forwarded_for headers (I don't want sites to know I am accessing them via a proxy).

What I have setup now:
I enabled apache2 mod_proxy and have this in my /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/proxy.conf:
<IfModule mod_proxy.c>
#turning ProxyRequests on and allowing proxying from all may allow
#spammers to use your proxy to send email.

ProxyRequests On

<Proxy *>
AddDefaultCharset off
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from 127.0.0.1
#Allow from .example.com
</Proxy>

# Enable/disable t
he handling of HTTP/1.1 "Via:" headers.
# ("Full" adds the server version; "Block" removes all outgoing Via: headers)
# Set to one of: Off | On | Full | Block

ProxyVia Block
</IfModule>

Now I am able to connect via my local machine using putty to ssh and create a tunnel through a port that I choose. I set up my browser (Firefox) to access through a socks proxy at localhostort using the port that I set up the tunnel and am able to access the internet using my vps ip.

The problem: I can't seem to set it up to use the second ip of my vps when I want to use that instead (sometimes simultaneously using one local cpu for the first addess and a second cpu for the second address). Even if I tunnel through putty to the second ip, the first ip address is always displayed as my external ip address when accessing the internet. I can't seem to find any information anywhere about this. If you could help or point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Edit: I should also specify that the two local computers will be accessing the same types of data (mostly http) simultaneously.

Last edited by dustinhigh; 14th April 2010 at 06:35. Reason: More details
Sponsored Links