Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Tips/Tricks/Mods

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 25th February 2010, 08:50
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,332 Times in 4,184 Posts

If you use a local DNS server in your network or a router with dns functions, you can use that to override the normal dns server for that domain too for all workstations in your network.

Another option is to add a temporary domain or subdomain to the website and use this during development.
Sponsored Links
Old 28th February 2010, 17:41

As I already wrote in my earlier posting: it is a solution to change the host-file but it`s not a userfriendly solution.

I have same problem since weeks, I move all users from a confixx-server to a new ispconfig based server.
If I want to check if the "move" was successfull, I have to edit my hosts-file. If a user wants to see a new-homepage I created for him (and he wants to buy or move a domain pointing to my new server not until he likes the new website well) I have to tell him to change his hosts-file.
This is unprofessional and most users don`t even know, that there is a hosts-file on there machine and waht this file does.

The easiest way to set up a new user with webspace and website would be (like it is in confixx) username.my-server.tld point to the same website, that www.username.tld would do.
Is it so hard to code that feature?

Need help? Try out irc://irc.quakenet.org/ISPConfig
Old 28th February 2010, 23:30

An other way to do this is to creat the clients website like normal, and make a symlink from it to the 1st website that you setup on the server (ie: the website that you see when accessing your ISPconfig server by IP)

Now you can access the "clients" website by http://the_ip_of_server/the_name_of_symlink
Nicram (17th March 2010)
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:28
Super Moderator

Or you just add a temporary aliasdomain (subdomain) to the website.
Old 17th March 2010, 02:19

Send a message via ICQ to Nicram Send a message via AIM to Nicram Send a message via Yahoo to Nicram Send a message via Skype™ to Nicram

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge View Post
An other way to do this is to creat the clients website like normal, and make a symlink from it to the 1st website that you setup on the server (ie: the website that you see when accessing your ISPconfig server by IP)

Now you can access the "clients" website by http://the_ip_of_server/the_name_of_symlink
Is it any way to make it automatically for every new created website by customers?

For example using hxxp://mydomain.tld/customer.domain.tld/ ?

It is really missing thing in ispconfig, so users/clients may access their websites before they got own domain.

Not so long ago, i had to transfer about 90 accounts to ispconfig, and making dns entry for every user was pain, and it isn't high number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
Or you just add a temporary aliasdomain (subdomain) to the website.
Yrs but we also have to create dns A record for every useres. It is problematic if i use for that other server (for my own domain), especially if it is not automatic or web administrated DNS server.

Ah and changing DNS server or host files of XXX users that using accounts is just, impossible

Last edited by Nicram; 17th March 2010 at 02:25.
Old 17th March 2010, 07:59
Super Moderator

We did not implement this symlink solution as it does not work reliably and it can not work reliably for technical reasons. What you see trough the symlink is not the same vhost that you get later when the domain is delegated. So if the site works or not later can not be determined by accessing the files trough the symlink. Only really simple sites with html files will work reliably. The reason for this is that the symlink uses the settings of the default vhost which are different from the settings of the vhost that is used for the real domain. So if your customers tests the site trogh the symlink and it does not work, there is a chance of about 80% that it is related to the fact that you accessed it trough the symlink and not trough the real website. And if you fix these problems then and the site displays fine trough the symlink, it will be broken when you access it later trogh the domain.

The only solution that will eork reliably is to add a temporary domain or check the site by changing the hosts file. By the way, I migrated a lot of sites using the hosts file method, works fine. Just leave the editor with the file open, type in the domain, test it and then go to the next one.
Old 17th March 2010, 11:17

Send a message via ICQ to Nicram Send a message via AIM to Nicram Send a message via Yahoo to Nicram Send a message via Skype™ to Nicram

Well i think, subdomains are best option. But afaik ispconfig do to make them automatically, and do not have option to choose what domain to use for that (he also had to got option to automatic adding A and MX records in the domain zone i think).

Maybe it's good thing to implement in future releases
Old 2nd April 2010, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderAmigos View Post
You shouldn't be typing the ip address. There may be an .htaccess file there that forbids directories. What happens when you just type in the domain name (site1.tld) ?
I found the ip address here http://www.ip-details.com/ It provides ip address,ip search,domain host search,get ip details....