Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 6th February 2010, 23:38

Question How To Set Up Software RAID 1 On A Running LVM System (Incl. GRUB Configuration)

I'm following your instructions and attempting to modify them to my environment.

My concern is that I didn't use the default partitioning during my install, I've got a partition (PV) for each of the major functions running on this machine (i.e. vg_opsys; vg_oracle; vg_websoft; etc.) for a total of 8 partitions on this 1 TB SATA drive.

I'm curious as to what should be done with partition 4 which is my type 5 (extended) partition type. Should I just ignore it when I'm changing the types on /dev/sdb to fd?

Also, there is at least 250 GB of free space on /dev/sda. How does that get converted to RAID 1? Or does it? And if it doesn't, should I just start all over and use hardware raid?

TIA
Gene
Sponsored Links
Old 7th February 2010, 13:51
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenePoole View Post
I'm curious as to what should be done with partition 4 which is my type 5 (extended) partition type. Should I just ignore it when I'm changing the types on /dev/sdb to fd?
Yes, ignore it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenePoole View Post
Also, there is at least 250 GB of free space on /dev/sda. How does that get converted to RAID 1? Or does it? And if it doesn't, should I just start all over and use hardware raid?

TIA
Gene
You could add that space to an existing logical volume. Take a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_lvm

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
The Following User Says Thank You to falko For This Useful Post:
GenePoole (18th May 2010)
Old 18th May 2010, 17:09

Question How To Set Up Software RAID 1 On A Running LVM System (Incl. GRUB COnfiguration)

It's been since February since you reply reached me. It appears that I've run into a bad batch of 1 TB hard disks. That's been solved so I can proceed.

I'm at the 'pvmove' step and this process take a very long time. What are the implications of establishing several sessions and doing multiple 'pvmove' processes at the same time? The 'mdadm --add' step concerns me because there have been some electrical issues in the area and my battery backup unit will only give me ~60-minutes. Your opinion?

Gene