Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 19th December 2009, 19:07
none.null none.null is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default How To Install VMware Server 1.0.x On An Ubuntu 9.10 SERVER (AMD64)

I need to install VMVare Server 1.0.10 on an Ubuntu 9.10 SERVER (AMD64).
I used the how to "How To Install VMware Server 1.0.x On An Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop" ( at the link http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-ins...u-9.10-desktop ) in a new installation without the upgrade.

after the step :
Code:
dpkg -i linux-image-2.6.31.4-custom_2.6.31.4-custom-10.00.Custom_amd64.deb linux-headers-2.6.31.4-custom_2.6.31.4-custom-10.00.Custom_amd64.deb
retrurn the follow message
Code:
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/nvidia-common

Setting up linux-headers-2.6.31.4-custom (2.6.31.4-custom-10.00.Custom) ...
dpkg: warning: obsolete option '--print-installation-architecture', please use '--print-architecture' instead.
after reboot, when the VM started, the host jams !

what about ?
thanks.
best regards.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 20th December 2009, 13:33
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,743 Times in 2,577 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by none.null View Post
after the step :
Code:
dpkg -i linux-image-2.6.31.4-custom_2.6.31.4-custom-10.00.Custom_amd64.deb linux-headers-2.6.31.4-custom_2.6.31.4-custom-10.00.Custom_amd64.deb
retrurn the follow message
Code:
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/nvidia-common

Setting up linux-headers-2.6.31.4-custom (2.6.31.4-custom-10.00.Custom) ...
dpkg: warning: obsolete option '--print-installation-architecture', please use '--print-architecture' instead.
I had this message as well, but it didn't cause any problem for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by none.null View Post
after reboot, when the VM started, the host jams !
Any errors in your logs?
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20th December 2009, 18:00
none.null none.null is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko View Post
I had this message as well, but it didn't cause any problem for me...
I think so, bat when the VM start the system halted

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko View Post
Any errors in your logs?
now I reinstall ubuntu 9.10 server , vmware 1.0.10 and post the logs
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28th December 2009, 14:29
none.null none.null is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I've reinstalled all.
After install the new kernel ( the old kernel was 2.6.31-16-server) 2.6.31.4-vmware-1.10

Code:
make-kpkg clean
fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-custom kernel_image kernel_headers
when I install or remove a program, the system return the follow error
Code:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
mc is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up linux-image-2.6.31.4-vmware-1.10 (2.6.31.4-vmware-1.10-10.00.Custom) ...
Running depmod.
Finding valid ramdisk creators.
Using mkinitramfs-kpkg to build the ramdisk.
initrd.img(/boot/initrd.img-2.6.31.4-vmware-1.10
) points to /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31.4-vmware-1.10
 (/boot/initrd.img-2.6.31.4-vmware-1.10) -- doing nothing at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-2.6.31.4-vmware-1.10.postinst line 588.
vmlinuz(/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.4-vmware-1.10
) points to /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.4-vmware-1.10
 (/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.4-vmware-1.10) -- doing nothing at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-2.6.31.4-vmware-1.10.postinst line 588.
Running postinst hook script update-grub.
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.4-vmware-1.10
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-16-server
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-16-generic
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-server
Found GRUB 2: /boot/grub/core.img
Found kernel: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/nvidia-common
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/nvidia-common exited with return code 20
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-2.6.31.4-vmware-1.10.postinst line 1186.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.31.4-vmware-1.10 (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
 linux-image-2.6.31.4-vmware-1.10
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
The question : do you think is possible to install the vmware-server-1.0.10 onto ubuntu 9.10 server with the last kernel ?

If this is possible can you exlane me how to do it ?

best regards.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 29th December 2009, 12:56
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,743 Times in 2,577 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by none.null View Post
The question : do you think is possible to install the vmware-server-1.0.10 onto ubuntu 9.10 server with the last kernel ?
No, you will have to rebuild the kernel as explained in the tutorial.
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 1st January 2010, 13:19
none.null none.null is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default problem after recompile the kernen

After recopile the kernel, when i can to try to install a program (eg. mc),
I've the proplem : E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Code:
Lettura elenco dei pacchetti... Fatto
Generazione albero delle dipendenze       
Lettura informazioni sullo stato... Fatto
Pacchetti suggeriti:
  arj xpdf dbview odt2txt
I seguenti pacchetti NUOVI saranno installati:
  mc
0 aggiornati, 1 installati, 0 da rimuovere e 5 non aggiornati.
1 non completamente installati o rimossi.
Č necessario scaricare 2192kB di archivi.
Dopo quest'operazione, verranno occupati 6521kB di spazio su disco.
Scaricare:1 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com karmic/universe mc 2:4.6.2-2ubuntu1 [2192kB]
Recuperati 2192kB in 9s (234kB/s)                                                                                                                                               
Selezionato il pacchetto mc.
(Lettura del database... 190081 file e directory attualmente installati.)
Estrazione di mc (da .../mc_2%3a4.6.2-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb)...
Elaborazione dei trigger per man-db...
Configurazione di linux-image-2.6.31.4-custom (2.6.31.4-custom-10.00.Custom)...
Running depmod.
Finding valid ramdisk creators.
Using mkinitramfs-kpkg to build the ramdisk.
initrd.img(/boot/initrd.img-2.6.31.4-custom
) points to /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31.4-custom
 (/boot/initrd.img-2.6.31.4-custom) -- doing nothing at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-2.6.31.4-custom.postinst line 588.
vmlinuz(/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.4-custom
) points to /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.4-custom
 (/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.4-custom) -- doing nothing at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-2.6.31.4-custom.postinst line 588.
Running postinst hook script update-grub.
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.4-custom
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-16-server
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-16-generic
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-server
Found GRUB 2: /boot/grub/core.img
Found kernel: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/nvidia-common
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/nvidia-common exited with return code 20
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-2.6.31.4-custom.postinst line 1186.
dpkg: errore nell'elaborare linux-image-2.6.31.4-custom (--configure):
 il sottoprocesso vecchio script di post-installation ha restituito lo stato di errore 2
Configurazione di mc (2:4.6.2-2ubuntu1)...

Si sono verificati degli errori nell'elaborazione:
 linux-image-2.6.31.4-custom
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

and the process is to slow then before.

how to do ?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 1st January 2010, 14:41
none.null none.null is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by none.null View Post
After recopile the kernel, when i can to try to install a program (eg. mc),
I've the proplem : E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Code:
Lettura elenco dei pacchetti... Fatto
Generazione albero delle dipendenze       
Lettura informazioni sullo stato... Fatto
Pacchetti suggeriti:
  arj xpdf dbview odt2txt
I seguenti pacchetti NUOVI saranno installati:
  mc
0 aggiornati, 1 installati, 0 da rimuovere e 5 non aggiornati.
1 non completamente installati o rimossi.
Č necessario scaricare 2192kB di archivi.
Dopo quest'operazione, verranno occupati 6521kB di spazio su disco.
Scaricare:1 http://it.archive.ubuntu.com karmic/universe mc 2:4.6.2-2ubuntu1 [2192kB]
Recuperati 2192kB in 9s (234kB/s)                                                                                                                                               
Selezionato il pacchetto mc.
(Lettura del database... 190081 file e directory attualmente installati.)
Estrazione di mc (da .../mc_2%3a4.6.2-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb)...
Elaborazione dei trigger per man-db...
Configurazione di linux-image-2.6.31.4-custom (2.6.31.4-custom-10.00.Custom)...
Running depmod.
Finding valid ramdisk creators.
Using mkinitramfs-kpkg to build the ramdisk.
initrd.img(/boot/initrd.img-2.6.31.4-custom
) points to /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31.4-custom
 (/boot/initrd.img-2.6.31.4-custom) -- doing nothing at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-2.6.31.4-custom.postinst line 588.
vmlinuz(/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.4-custom
) points to /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.4-custom
 (/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.4-custom) -- doing nothing at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-2.6.31.4-custom.postinst line 588.
Running postinst hook script update-grub.
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.4-custom
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-16-server
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-16-generic
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-server
Found GRUB 2: /boot/grub/core.img
Found kernel: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/nvidia-common
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/nvidia-common exited with return code 20
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-2.6.31.4-custom.postinst line 1186.
dpkg: errore nell'elaborare linux-image-2.6.31.4-custom (--configure):
 il sottoprocesso vecchio script di post-installation ha restituito lo stato di errore 2
Configurazione di mc (2:4.6.2-2ubuntu1)...

Si sono verificati degli errori nell'elaborazione:
 linux-image-2.6.31.4-custom
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

and the process is to slow then before.

how to do ?

Thanks.
I've resolved the problem with synaptic ( delete nvidia driver and after reinstalled with Driver Hardware)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 1st January 2010, 15:02
none.null none.null is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default the kernel release

In original installation (ubuntu 9.10 server AMD64) the kernel was 2.6.31-14-server
after upgrade was 2.6.31-16-server

after rebuild is 2.6.31.4-custom

the question : do you think it's possible to compile the kernel with the (last) release 2.6.31-server ?

If yes : how to do it ? and in the next relese I will recompile the kernell every upgrade ?


best regards.

HNY for all.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2nd January 2010, 15:21
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,743 Times in 2,577 Posts
Default

Did you install the latest kernel source package?
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 3rd January 2010, 09:26
none.null none.null is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko View Post
Did you install the latest kernel source package?
I have installed (aptitude install) linux-source-2.6.31 before upgrade, and now :
Code:
dpkg -l | grep linux-source
ii  linux-source-2.6.31                  2.6.31-16.53                               Linux kernel source for version 2.6.31 with
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
User unknown in relay recipient table Taxick Installation/Configuration 12 9th April 2013 12:31
vmware on ubuntu server bentman78 HOWTO-Related Questions 3 20th December 2008 18:36
VMware, LTSP and Ubuntu 8.04 bobwdn HOWTO-Related Questions 2 20th August 2008 00:50
ISPConfig install issues... flyingaggie Installation/Configuration 2 18th July 2008 10:46
The Perfect Setup Suse 9.3 - Postfix problems new_bee05 HOWTO-Related Questions 20 25th November 2005 02:30


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.