Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 18th June 2009, 18:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
1) Delete all files in vhosts.d directory.

done, and restarted apache2, and everything still looks ok now, could my problem have been in the listen.conf file by just uncommenting the NamedVirtualHost *:80 line? when this was not uncommented i was getting the default page on both sites. that seems to be the issue. I just commented it and restarted apache and got the previous errors and both sites defaulted again. so I uncommented that line restarted apache and both sites are back to normal. Amazing.

2) Did you select * or the IP address for the sites in the ispconfig settings?

the dropdown only lets me choose *, there are no ip addresses

3) Make sure that all domains point with a dns A-Record to your server IP. Dont use any redirects.
The DNS settings / setup is another struggle entirely for me, absolutely clueless as to how to set this up. If I need to go to another thread for this, please advise.
Sponsored Links
Old 18th June 2009, 18:32
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,651 Times in 4,461 Posts

1) Yes, might be the case.
2) IP addresses can be added in the administration module. But as it works now, there is no need to do that. IP addresses are only needed if you want to use e.g. ssl or add an ip based vhost.
3) If the sites work now then DNS is correct. So no need to do anything additionally with DNS.
Old 18th June 2009, 19:04

so if i wanted to use ssl (probably will) what would i need to do?
Old 18th June 2009, 19:20

Okay, now we are back to square one, I deleted my site with ispconfig, then readded my site.

both sites are defaulting again, so i checked listen.conf and NamedVirtualHost *:80 is still uncommented

restarted apache and got the following error:

Syntax error on line 70 of /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/kreativkakes.hobby-site.com.vhost:
Invalid command 'ReWriteModule', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration

so i edited the vhost at the very bottom and commented out the "ReWriteModule On", then restarted again.

apache started but still getting default on both sites

so when i add a site, apache begins serving only that sites content on all domains. so maybe there is more to the DNS settings that i am just too dumb to figure out.

getting frustrated, please help
Old 3rd September 2009, 16:45

I am having the same issue. I added a new domain to my server, and the site caused my other site to go back to the default index file. How do I fix this? I am a complete noob to linux. So please be as thorough as possible?

The sites are drewclardy.info. This one worked fine until I added the new site last night.

Other site is www.clardyfamily.co.cc. It is also pointing to the new site page.
Old 3rd September 2009, 18:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclardy View Post
I am having the same issue. I added a new domain to my server, and the site caused my other site to go back to the default index file. How do I fix this? I am a complete noob to linux. So please be as thorough as possible?

The sites are drewclardy.info. This one worked fine until I added the new site last night.

Other site is www.clardyfamily.co.cc. It is also pointing to the new site page.
to solve the multiple issues I was having with ispconfig3 among other software, and I hope this doesn't make anyone mad, but I switched to CentOS 5.3, Now EVERYTHING works, no more fighting with OpenSUSE.

Don't get me wrong, if you are a newb, (like myself) there is no other distro you need to be with than openSUSE, I truly believe that suse has user friendly down to a science. It just lacks in certain areas. So i would say, play with suse, get a feel for the power of a linux server, then change to CentOS. some commands are a little different and take a little getting used to. but You will be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to maintain a cent box (as opposed to Suse.) I was.

In otherwords, i think SUSE is great for desktop environments (winblows replacement OS) but for servers, RedHat has it, hands down. (centos is redhat enterprise, without the support.)

now before anyone starts bashing me, I am a newb as well, and these are just my opinions. You are of course free to choose to stick with suse, but i went down that road faithfully, and you are in for some heartaches with suse as your server if you want to run ispconfig3.
Old 4th September 2009, 00:02

I think that I have taken care of the issue that I was having. For some reason, ISPConfig is placing an .html file in the home directory of all the websites when I add a new one. I am having to go in and delete the index.html file that is being written. Is this a none issue?

Thanks.
Old 4th September 2009, 00:28
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,651 Times in 4,461 Posts

ISPConfig is adding the index.html file into the sites home directory when the site is created. That is the intended behaviour.
Old 4th September 2009, 00:37

Default you are misunderstanding till

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
ISPConfig is adding the index.html file into the sites home directory when the site is created. That is the intended behaviour.
Yes we all know the html file is supposed to be created when you add a site.
BUT,
it is not supposed to write that html file into all other previously installed and working sites. causing malfunctions with other sites when you add a new site is, hopefully, not standard procedure.
Old 4th September 2009, 00:38

It is doing it to the already established websites.

Say I have website 1. It is up and running.

I go in and add website 2. The server is placing a .html file there. That is fine I understand that action.

It is also adding another .html file in the directory of website 1.