Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22nd March 2006, 16:38

Default Questions in regards to ISP-Server Setup - Ubuntu 5.10 "Breezy Badger"

I am relatively new to linux in itself, although I have played around with RH, SuSE, and Mandrake in the distant past. I want to be able to run my own web server using the ISPConfig HowTo. I followed the instruction and it seems to be working grat. Much kudos to tado for writing this easy to follow setup. However I'm having some problems understanding a few issues. Here is some basic information on what I've already done or have in place:
  • Registered thermalhost.com
  • Also currently have cipherghost.com and 454corp.com which I have owned for several years hosted elsewhere. (Ideally I'd like to move these domains onto this box as well)

1) On page 3, under the section Setting the Hostname it gives an exmple as follows:

Code:
echo server1.example.com > /etc/hostname
/bin/hostname -F /etc/hostname
Regardless of what I change this to(i.e. server.thermalhost.com) certain parts of Ubuntu stop working, if I reboot I get a message stating that it the hostname has an error and gives me a warning that certain parts of the OS may not operate correctly. It then gives me the option to try again or login anyway. Once I choose login anyway, I can't do basic things such as open File Browser, gEdit, Synaptic Package Manager, etc...It seems like the change prevents these from working in its entirety. Not knowing what to do the first time I simply reformatted and skipped the Setting the Hostname section and went through the entire installation, which is working fine it seems. I tried to set the hostname again last night with the same results as before, I ound that after logging back in it acted the very same way and I tried, using terminal, to change it back to localhost. It started working again but I'm unsure of how to go about this.

2) Also another issue I'm having trouble understanding is with BIND. I have my registrar setup to look at my server for DNS resolution. I also was thinking of using everydns.net as a secondary DNS if possible. However when I check DNS report I receive several fatals. I am unsure exactly how to treat each of these, some of them(i.e. ns0.thermalhost.com; mail.thermalhost.com) need a DNS entry but I am thinking that these would need to be edited in the named.conf directly instead of using ISPConfig. Please check out my DNSReport here .

If I need to submit more information please let me know. Thanks in advance for any advice offered.
Sponsored Links