Old 17th April 2009, 07:22

Default DNS templates how to

Hi All,
I dont seem to be able to get DNS templates working. When I select a template, nothing is filled in for me or added auto if I click save etc. Is there a usage doc somewhere? Also I get no default DNS zone or entries when I create a site/email domain. I have to create the zone SOA and entries manually.

I did search but did not find. So please excuse if thi one has been answered already and point me at it.

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 18th April 2009, 12:54
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,744 Times in 2,577 Posts

I'm sure Till can answer this question, but he has limited access to email and Internet over the weekend. It is possible that he might not be able to answer this question before the mid of next week...

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 21st April 2009, 15:57

Perhaps same case here...

I've installed ispconfig 3 and, compared to ispconfig 2, when creating a new domain the dns is not filled out...

Well I will wait for the answer, by the way ispconfig3 is a great tool/control panel!
Old 21st April 2009, 19:27
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,496 Times in 4,326 Posts

Quote:
I've installed ispconfig 3 and, compared to ispconfig 2, when creating a new domain the dns is not filled out...
I guess you mix there something up between ispconfig 2 and 3. ISPConfig 3 does not has any function to create dns records when you create a website.
Old 21st April 2009, 19:28
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbod View Post
Hi All,
I dont seem to be able to get DNS templates working. When I select a template, nothing is filled in for me or added auto if I click save etc. Is there a usage doc somewhere? Also I get no default DNS zone or entries when I create a site/email domain. I have to create the zone SOA and entries manually.

I did search but did not find. So please excuse if thi one has been answered already and point me at it.

Many thanks
Please use the default dns template that is delivered with a fresh installed ispconfig 3 final as reference, it conatains all possibe values for dns templates.
Old 21st April 2009, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
I guess you mix there something up between ispconfig 2 and 3. ISPConfig 3 does not has any function to create dns records when you create a website.
Ok, this means that in ispconfig3 a website and dns for that website have to be created manually... ok I will check it with my ispconfig 3 installation...

Thanks!
Old 11th May 2009, 08:24

I think the problem was that the default template did not appear to work, as no entries were added for me. I created a new template and it is working. I also think maybe I was not using the DNS wizard, so maybe the default template is working? That box is now in production so I will have to wait till I setup the mirror and test then.

One problem is the clients find it too difficult to setup sites and DNS etc for themselves. They not very 'techy'. The 'IT WORKS' when they set it up wrong really pi***s them off :-)

Personally I think ISPConfig is great! Keep up the good work.
Old 6th July 2009, 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
ISPConfig 3 does not has any function to create dns records when you create a website.
Excuse me, if I might ask... is this by design or is it a feature yet to be implemented?
It would come in handy if I (or one of my colleagues) could auto-add the required dns records at website creation just by choosing the desired template.

Also, if the client or anybody accidentally deletes one of the records, he should be given the chance, by clicking a button, to restore the dns records according to the template.

Wouldn't this be a useful feature?

Last edited by BrightSoul; 6th July 2009 at 15:49.
Old 6th July 2009, 15:49
Super Moderator

You mix up dns templates with website records. This thread and answer is about website records which are not realted to the dns template functions.