Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 29th November 2006, 20:08

Default SMTP server requires authentication

Hello,

I successfully installed ISPConfig using Falko's Fabulous Installing a LAMP system With Fedora Core 6 Falko's Fabulous Installing a LAMP system With Fedora Core 6

I'm having a hard time getting the SMTP server to only send mails from an authenticated user. Right now with the basic setup you can send mail from a client with any user name on the same subnet. I setup my Eudora client with a username bogus@mydomain.edu (not a user) and sent mail to my yahoo account and it sent without a problem.

What exactly do I need to change to only let authenticated users send mail on the outgoing SMTP server requiring them to authenticate with their login and password I set up for them in ISPConfig?

And if I only allow authenticated users to send e-mail in this fashion will this affect any internal processes of the server?

Thanks,
George
Sponsored Links
Old 30th November 2006, 08:49
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,318 Times in 4,171 Posts

Please add / edit this lines in your main.cf:

Code:
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination
The line allows sending for local processes without password which is nescessary . Everyone else will be forced to authenticate.
Old 30th June 2009, 21:05

Default Internal user authentication

I'm using Ispconfig 2 on a suse 11 installation.
I have added the suggested lines

mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks,reject _unauth_destination

My mail server is not an open relay, and users have to authenticate except when sending to an internal user. So anyone using my smtp server can send an email to any user @mydomain without any authentication.

Can I limit this or is that a part of normal mail server operation. The problem of course is spam . I'm using spamassasin, but a lot of spam still get's delivered.

Thnx
Old 1st July 2009, 11:20
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,318 Times in 4,171 Posts

Quote:
Can I limit this or is that a part of normal mail server operation.
This is the normal bahaviour of every mailserver. If you would limit this, you would have to call everyone that wants to send you an email and tell him his password before he is able to send you a mail which is a bit impractible...

If spam mails shall be deleted then select the delete option in the spamfilter settings of the email account.