Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 9th June 2009, 22:59

Question Root Server Partitioning Suggestion for ISPConfig 3 & 400GB Diskspace

The title tells it all. I have to confess, that I've lost a little the oversight, what goes where in the filesystem on such an installation (and with that I mainly mean mail, webstuff and databases). I don't want to just use a large / and maybe a separate /home, but a more fine grained partitioning scheme.

As the webstuff seems to go all to /var/www by default, where are mail and databases stored?

Does it make sense, to split up /var into more than one partition?

I really would appreciate, if some of you with the proper knowledge and some real life experience with running productions machines with ISPConfig 3 could post suggestions, how to split up 400GB of diskspace in a useful way (including the suggested filesystem, if other than ext3 for certain partitions).

P.S. Of course I know, that there is no generally valid answer to that problem, as it depends on what else is done with that machine, for how many websites / customers it is meant to be, and so on. I just want to get some input, on how others would use 400GB of space, if the main purpose of that server is to run ISPConfig 3 and host web, mail & databases for a bunch of domains.
Sponsored Links