Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 27th April 2009, 16:48

Default Cant instal ubuntu 8.04 with software raid

Hi, I have red the HOW TO create software raid on Ubuntu in this net, but I cant create the raid by folowing this how to. I have spare mashine P4 with Abit AL8 motherboard and 2 SATA WD1200 HDD, it looks cool for my needs. I want to crate raid 1 on it with Ubuntu 8.04 server. But when I creating partitions on sda and sdb (40GB, 1.2GB, 78.8GB) and want to configure raid (creating md devices), I geting error - there is no linux raid partitions, or they in use (or something). When I try to delet md devices, that already apears for some reason, /dev/md0 device, it contains sdb[0] and sda[1] inactive partitions (I do not created that device) geting error: "there was an error deleting the multidisk device. It may be in use.". After I deleting some parttition and creating it again I can specify the md devices (sda1 sdb1, sda2 sdb2, sda3 sdb3), after I pres finish the md devices do not apears.
Where is the problem, does Ubuntu do not suport that motherboard or hdd.
Thanks for your answers.

Last edited by Meskis; 27th April 2009 at 16:54.
Sponsored Links
Old 28th April 2009, 16:32
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,740 Times in 2,575 Posts

You can try this tutorial: http://www.howtoforge.com/software-r...ot-debian-etch
Should work on Ubuntu as well.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 29th April 2009, 11:59

After you create a partition, don't forget to set the type to "Linux raid autodetect" (type FD).

Paul
Old 11th August 2009, 07:14

Default Software RAID

I had a similar problem when installing Fedora on a software RAID 1. The solution to my problem was making sure that my swap partitions weren't in a RAID. I just created a separate swap partition on each drive and that solved my problem.
Old 12th August 2009, 21:26

I can attest that I followed the How To mentioned in the previos post by Falko. Although it was written for Debian Etch, it worked fine for my Ubuntu 8.04 LTS 64 bit server configuration.

I did run into some issues on a second install with the same drives where it appeared that there were remnants of the previous raid configuration. If I remember correctly, I just reformatted the drives before continuing on with the installation.