Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 13th April 2009, 13:28

It just keeps getting better and better.

I created another unpriviledged account on the source server. It has no .ssh directory. I then ran the rsync command:
rsync -avz -e "ssh -i/root/rysnc/scflf005-rsync-key" sync2@scflf001:/etc/squid/lists/ /etc/squid/lists/
It asked for the password for sync2. When I entered it the files sync'd.

The key I generated was for root on scflf005 and that is the account I issued the rsync command from. It appears it ignored the whole key thing and granted the sync based upon the sync2 password.

I then copied the passwordless public key (same one as before) to sync2@scflf001:/home/.ssh and copied it to authorized_keys (cat >> authorized_keys). Added a line to one of the lists and reran the command. It sync'd without asking for a password.

This leads me to believe that the problem for me is either in my checkrsync file or what I am prepending to the public key.

Thanks for your continued support! I'll add the peices a little at a time to see where it breaks.
Sponsored Links
Old 13th April 2009, 15:53

The saga continues...
A refresher, I have 2 unpriviledged accounts listadmin & rsync2 on my main server scflf001. listadmin is the account that the delvelopers use to ftp the new lists to the server with. They are uploaded to it's home directory and a shell script copies them out to the correct location. I would like to use listadmin as well for the rsync process. This would limit the number of users on the main server to 3; root, listadmin and myself. The other servers will have only root and myself.

I am prompted for a password everytime I try to use listadmin@scflf001. If I use the sync2@scflf001 it works as expected. I deleted the authorized_keys file and the scflf005-rsync-key.pub file from listadmin's .ssh directory and copied the ones from rysnc2. I am still promped for a password if I use listadmin@scflf001. I deleted the authorized_keys and .pub file from rsync2's .ssh directory, copied them back from listadmin. It works, no password needed.

What could it be about the listadmin account that causes the process to request a password? I do not have anything prepended to the authorized_keys file.

Lastly, -avz causes the the owner and group to be set to 1003, I am assuming that would be the users number on the main server.
Old 14th April 2009, 13:04
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,735 Times in 2,571 Posts

I have no idea why this isn't working for you.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
The Following User Says Thank You to falko For This Useful Post:
edpatterson (14th April 2009)
Old 14th April 2009, 22:36

Me neither, but being of superiour intelligence I figured that if it works with userA and not userB, then I would simply use userA and move on to bigger and better things. :-)

I really do appreciate all your trouble!
Ed
Old 15th April 2009, 18:16
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,735 Times in 2,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edpatterson View Post
Me neither, but being of superiour intelligence I figured that if it works with userA and not userB, then I would simply use userA and move on to bigger and better things. :-)
Nice one!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: