Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 23rd February 2009, 04:08

Default How to retrieve email? (Postfix / Courier)

Well, I recently followed this how-to:
The Perfect Server - Debian Lenny (Debian 5.0) [ISPConfig 2]

First thing is first: Everything seems to be going beautifully, and I'd like to throw a big thank-you to falko for it. I am running my own site on my home server!

I have one question right now: In the How-to I installed Postfix & Courier for email. In ISPConfig I enabled maildir, and I believe I have correctly setup an email addy. I don't know if I'm too tired or what, but I am at this point: what now? I want to start handing out this email addy to people so they can contact me, so how will I get this? A pop client? What would the config for POP be? Did the web interface for Courier get installed?

I've managed to work my way through everything else, and everything else is working, this is, I believe, the last piece! Thanks in advance for any insights!
Sponsored Links
Old 23rd February 2009, 10:20
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,496 Times in 4,326 Posts

Getting started guide:

http://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig-2.x-first-steps
Old 24th February 2009, 01:21

I had followed the First Steps guide, however I neglected to follow the webmail part of it. My bad. I've now installed RoundCube webmail, and can access it fine. However I think I have a snag - I don't believe any mail can be delivered. I was having issues figuring out how to setup DNS properly, on my server & with my domain provider, and in asking their help they just pointed my domain to my server's IP, but left the DNS alone.

I am going to assume here that the DNS has to be configured properly for the mail functions to work. If so, can anyone provide some insight into how to configure this properly? Google searching has got me tearing my hair out trying to understand it all. I'll play out how things are set currently:

Server: Server1
Domain (SOA): linuxottawa.ca
IP Address: 69.196.165.85

Admin Email: root@localhost
Nameserver 1: lenny.linuxottawa.ca
Nameserver 2: lenny.linuxottawa.ca

Refresh: 28800
Retry: 7200
Expire: 604800
TTL: 86400

A Record: blank

IP-Address: 192.168.1.152 Hostname: www
CNAME: blank
MX: blank
Mailserver: lenny.linuxottawa.ca
SPF: blank
Hostname: linuxottawa.ca

My domain provider gives an option to change DNS for the domain, and no options for A Record, MX, etc. They require 2 DNS entries (which I feel may cause a problem, having only 1 DNS server running, correct me if I am wrong.)

DNS is the one part of my setup that I truly feel I've hit a wall with, get a headache now thinking about it. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!
Old 24th February 2009, 09:38
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,496 Times in 4,326 Posts

There are two tutorials available here at howtoforge that explain the dns configuration with howtoforge. If you search for godaddy or schlund in the ste search, you will find them. They should work for your provider as well.
Old 27th February 2009, 21:14

Thanks again till,

I *believe* my server is configured properly. I followed the guide for schlund instead of godaddy, since I only have 1 public IP and 1 server. Right now I seem to be having an issue with my domain provider. I had to pay an extra $10/yr fee to get access to the advanced config for the domain, and I thought I has setup my dns to work properly (ns1.linuxottawa.ca), however it is not. I opened a help ticket with them, and got a reply, and now my head hurts again. I'd like your opinion on how to proceed.

My email to my domain provider:

Quote:
Hello,

I've set my DNS records for linuxottawa.ca and I believe they are set correctly. However it has been a few days now and 1: they are still not working. 2: They seem to be changing constantly.

There is no option to specify which nameserver should be the primary one, so I am counting on the fact that the one I added, ns1.linuxottawa.ca, will be seen as primary.

I have been checking on the status of the DNS change, and as I said, it seems to keep changing. From what it was until recently, with ns8.coolcom.com & ns88.coolcom.com with linuxottawa.ca pointing to my IP address:

(When the record reports this, www.linuxottawa.ca is working, and my website shows up in browser.)

With 'dig linuxottawa.ca' I can see that right now it is:

kristen@shodan:~> dig linuxottawa.ca

; <<>> DiG 9.4.2-P1 <<>> linuxottawa.ca
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 27016
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;linuxottawa.ca. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
linuxottawa.ca. 7200 IN A 0.0.0.0

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
linuxottawa.ca. 7200 IN NS ns7.coolcom.com.
linuxottawa.ca. 7200 IN NS ns77.coolcom.com.
linuxottawa.ca. 7200 IN NS ns1.linuxottawa.ca.

;; Query time: 55 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.1#53(192.168.1.1)
;; WHEN: Thu Feb 26 18:50:54 2009
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 114

This part does not take into account the IP of the nameservers, namely that ns1.linuxottawa.ca should point to 69.196.165.85 , and when the record reports this, www.linuxottawa.ca in my browser brings up nothing.

As I said, I have been checking the progress, and every few hours it seems to switch between one record and the other.

I'd just like to know if this is the normal process or if something is wrong here.

Thank you

~ Kristen
Their response:

Quote:
Tony Brandon:
Kristen,

The access you were provided with allows you to set the zone files for your domain within the ns7.coolcom.com and ns77.coolcom.com name servers (ours). You cannot add other namerservers... this is not where you edit the domain record.

If you want to use your own name servers, then you assign those to the domain record through the COOLCOM Client Centre under My Domains. Once you have done that, you then go to wherever that name server is administered and set the zone files there (A, C, MX records etc.)

If you plan to use "vanity" name servers (the same domain as the domain they are serving) then I will have to set that up for you manually... as CIRA will require IP addresses as well. You will also need two name servers. It's never a good idea to host a name server on the same IP address as the domain it is serving.

However if you are going to use our name servers (which are currently assigned to your domain record), then you set the IP addressing in the panel as I have done. I've also set your mail record.

I see that IP address 69.196.165.85 is a shared server, which means that the http.config file on that server will have to indicate the actual folder that your linuxottawa.ca website is hosted on within the shared space.
Advice, please?
Old 28th February 2009, 15:19
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,744 Times in 2,577 Posts

Quote:
If you plan to use "vanity" name servers (the same domain as the domain they are serving) then I will have to set that up for you manually... as CIRA will require IP addresses as well. You will also need two name servers. It's never a good idea to host a name server on the same IP address as the domain it is serving.
This is what you need because you want to host linuxottawa.ca on ns1.linuxottawa.ca.

Your registrar will create glue record for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_...d_glue_records

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 1st April 2009, 02:46

I am having problems receiving email as well to the ISP email accounts. They send fine and in fact, receiving was working a few days ago but eveything just stopped. I dont know how to track the problem down. Can someone help?
Old 1st April 2009, 14:21
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason8 View Post
I am having problems receiving email as well to the ISP email accounts.
How do you mean that? Email accounts on the servers of your ISP, or email accounts on your ISPConfig server?

Old 1st April 2009, 15:17

Email on ISPConfig. I can send from ISPConfig but I can not receive anything.
Old 2nd April 2009, 18:41
Super Moderator

Is there anything in the mail log when you send a mail to the ISPConfig server? Also, please check if the MX records of your domains are pointing to the correct server.