Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Developers' Forum

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 3rd March 2009, 23:48
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,412 Times in 4,255 Posts

ISPConfig has a plugin system for the server configuration part. If you want to add another webserver or implement a different way a webserver shall be configured, just write a new plugin like eugenesan did. Change in the existing apache plugin that change the way apache is configured in a default ispconfig setup will not be accepted as the ispconfig project trys always to be downwards compatible. but as long as you implement your features as new plugins there is no problem to add them to svn.
Sponsored Links
Old 16th March 2009, 05:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenesan View Post
Hi,

First I want to state that nginx is not less functional then apache in most cases.
My target was VPS oriented hosting server with control panel.
My intention was eliminate mail server usage (thanks to gmail) and totally replace apache+libphp with nginx+php-fcgi-fpm and not to add nginx as reverse proxy.

Currently I am successfully running desired configuration and I am more then happy :-)
Footprint, security and speed are far beyond my expectations.
I was able to add to ISPConfig, support for nginx, with as much features as majority of websites would require.

I hope to find some time and cooperation from ISPConfig maintainers, to share my achievements with others, soon.
I, for one, am anxiously awaiting your configuration details. With the lack of decent documentation for ISPConfig 3, I'm having trouble with getting mail to point to an external mail server (Google Apps). Thanks for your hard work on this!
Old 16th March 2009, 10:34
Super Moderator

Pointing email tp google apps has nothing to do with the mail system itself. Just create a dns mx records tha points to googles servers as google describes it in their instructions.
Old 16th March 2009, 16:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
Pointing email tp google apps has nothing to do with the mail system itself. Just create a dns mx records tha points to googles servers as google describes it in their instructions.
Let me clarify: I already have Google setup via my primary external DNS servers, but for ISPConfig2, I had to specify an external mail server for each domain and create the appropriate local DNS MX records to force my php applications and server (postfix) to relay to Google's servers for sending email, as described HERE. Has this changed to be automatic if I simply set the local DNS MX records to point to Google's servers? Thanks again!
Old 16th March 2009, 16:13
Super Moderator

ISPConfig 3 does not create automatic mail server entry for domains as ispconfig 2 did, so you dont have to configure anything in ispconfig 3 if you use a external mailserver like google.
Old 16th March 2009, 16:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
ISPConfig 3 does not create automatic mail server entry for domains as ispconfig 2 did, so you dont have to configure anything in ispconfig 3 if you use a external mailserver like google.
Okay, fair enough, so you're saying that my server will automatically know to use Google's mail servers for sending email for each domain? That seems almost too simple. I've been hesitant to migrate to ISPConfig3 because of this issue, so I guess my fears were unfounded. I can't wait for the new release, and then some docs for the new interface -- which is VERY slick I might add. Nice work.
Old 13th July 2009, 04:46

Default Nginx support in ISPConfig 3.0.1.3

Is this patch available as part of 3.0.1.3? Can someone provide instructions to swtich ISPConfig 3.0.1.3 to use Nginx?

Thanks in advance
Masky

Last edited by masky; 13th July 2009 at 04:49.
Old 13th July 2009, 08:23
Super Moderator

Quote:
Is this patch available as part of 3.0.1.3?
No. The patch is not part of ISPConfig as it renames several database fields which makes a patched system incompatible with any future ISPConfig updates and also breaks all installed systems if we would introduce it into the main branch. If I will find the time I will try to rewrite the patch so that it uses the correct database fields of ISPConfig so that it will not break exsiting systems.
The Following User Says Thank You to till For This Useful Post:
masky (13th July 2009)
Old 13th July 2009, 10:53

Hi,

Actually I am not sure I am breaking anything in DB structure, I was just adding new fields.
But, unfortunately, I had to perform some changes in Webserver area that may be incompatible with already installed systems.

BTW: Since last time I've posted my patch I've enhanced my local installation and new patch must be prepared if some one is planning to use it.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you need.
Old 13th July 2009, 11:20
Super Moderator

If you have a new patch, I will try to find the time to rewrite it to make it compatible with installed releases. Please post the patch to the bugtracker so that it gets part of the review process.

http://bugtracker.ispconfig.org