Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 12th January 2009, 10:25

Default regarding ownership of files inside the different web directories

hi there.

I am using ispcfg 2.XX latest version on a server that was installed by following the perfect debian sarge install.

My question is the following:

I am hosting several wordpress installations, for me and friends. Now I have some fundamental understanding problem.

ISPCFG uses i.e. web1_user1 as the format for usernames and web1 as the format for group names. now if I, logged in with the admin account ftp/ssh into my account, all files I create/modify are owned by me and my group aka similar to doing a chown -R web1_user1:web1 /web

BUT to use the wordpress core update and plugin update features, I have to make www-data (the apache2 user used on Debian) the owner, thus enabling any php script, i.e. the wordpress plugin my FTP to write to all files on the server in any of the wordpress installations as they are now all owned by www-data...

I mean now any web can run an online editor and point it to another web-directory and thus modify other users files, as they are all owned by www-data...

I feel there is a solution to this please point me into the right directory or ask for any relevant data I can provide you with.
Sponsored Links
Old 12th January 2009, 18:34
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,321 Times in 4,174 Posts

Quote:
I mean now any web can run an online editor and point it to another web-directory and thus modify other users files, as they are all owned by www-data..
This is the case on all webservers and not specific to ispconfig. there are 2 solutions:

1) enable php safemode.
2) switch from mod_php to suphp
The Following User Says Thank You to till For This Useful Post:
Tenaka (12th January 2009)
Old 12th January 2009, 19:21

thx :-) I'll do some reading up on these two options to find out what suits me best. Thx for the hints and clarifying.
Old 16th January 2009, 11:03

can I install my new server according to the ISPCFG 3.0RC1 installation instructions, then add the tutorial for ssh chroot (http://howtoforge.com/chroot_ssh_sftp_debian_etch) then add the tutorial for suphp (http://howtoforge.com/suphp_debian_etch_ispconfig or http://howtoforge.com/install-suphp-...2.20-and-above)

wil this be a working combination or are there problems?

any advice against employing suphp? I realized it uses php-cgi, what about fastcgi? what do other users use?

Last edited by Ovidiu; 16th January 2009 at 11:29.
Old 16th February 2009, 08:51

just curios what others in this forum use? what solution do you employ?
Old 16th February 2009, 11:55
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,321 Times in 4,174 Posts

In ISPConfig 2 you have only the solutions I posted above. In ISPConfig 3 you have also php as fastcgi.