Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11th January 2009, 20:13

Default Networking: Routing / subnet question

Hi all, please excuse this basic question. (below runs on Centos5, no gui)

I'm using zoneminder with IP cameras, and found they put an immense strain on the local network (192.168.1.x). I rigged up a secondary router (10.0.1.x) for the cameras, and installed a second NIC on my camera server.

My intention was to have the server "bridge" the connections via a route. The only way i was able to gain connectivity from computers on the 192 side was this:
In the second NIC setup, i had to enter 192.168.1.1 as the gateway (as opposed to 10.0.1.1, which is what my secondary router lives as).

What I found was that I had successfully reduced the load on my primary network, but ZM performance was extremely slow.

Here's my question: With my setup, is all traffic still routing from the 10.0.1.x network, through the 192.168.1.1 router, and then to zoneminder?

Is there a better way I can set this up? I like the idea of having the cameras on their own router for troubleshooting and security purposes.

And again, please excuse my rudimentary question.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links